UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2021, 12:46 am   #1
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default The Zobel correction

Zobel networks, used on OB feeds etc.
Most interesting, the seasonal ground temperature changes are worth noting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zobel_...ormer_roll-off
Old 26th Mar 2021, 7:56 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: The Zobel correction

That's a rather good wikipedia article and gives a good overview of Zobel's amplitude equaliser work. If you want to see an article on practical implementation with design curves and formulae for component values, Look up Harry Kimball's article in, I think it was the joutnal of the society of motion picture and television engineers, 1938. This paper is reprinted in Giacoletto's reference book (successor to Landee, Davis and Albrecht).

This sort of equaliser is not just used for flattening the response of cables, they also sometimes get used to correct the flatness of things like filters and transducers.

There is a separate class of equaliser used for correction of phase responses, sometimes called all-pass networks.

But the equalisers were only part of Zobel's work. He was also deeply involved in early filter theory, which is in a separate wikipedia article. He invented the image-impedance trick which is used in a lot of network synthesis which turned into what were called m-derived filter designs. If you look at books on filter design before 1967, you'll see it was mostly m-derived and constant-k which were the buzz-words. 1967 was when Zverev was published, and he collected together network analysis and synthesis techniques and moved it on into what he called 'Modern filter synthesis' So if you look in books and articles on filters (Electric Wave Filters, to give their full name) then you'll see that Anatol Zverev's monster book is the number one reference.

Another luminary in the filter landscape was Seymour B Cohn.

But Zobel covered so much of network theory that it's faintly hilarious when people speak of "The Zobel network" as if there was just one specific type. Cohn has suffered a similar fate.

David
Old 26th Mar 2021, 12:31 pm   #3
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Before the days of PC's and filter design software I used Anatol Zverev's monster book regularly, I still have a copy of the book on my bookshelf although it is a long time since I opened it.
Old 26th Mar 2021, 3:55 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Most filter design software just works on the most basic mainstream filter topologies.

A firm I worked for recently hired a small contracting firm to design a proof-of-concept board for a receiver. They used off the web filter calculators and just put in the centre frequencies and bandwidths, and out came component values. The software must have been really basic and didn't know of the need to go to coupled resonator realisations sometimes. So it came back with ludicrous L and C values. Infinitesimal capacitors working with inductors large enough that the self resonant frequency was going to ruin things. They didn't know better and laid out their board.

Filters use some rather imperfect components and are very sensitive to strays. The filter they generated looked OK on Spce, but had a couple of nodes needing zero stray C to ground. 0.05pf added to the model there, ruined them.

On the whole, you have to keep an eye on filter design.

Zverev and a few minutes with a pocket calculator will do nicely. if you know the pitfalls.

David
Old 26th Mar 2021, 4:25 pm   #5
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

I still use my Chris Bowick book RF Circuit Design and a calc when designing RF filters, never fails me.

Back to that article...
I love the way the standards back in the day were so high, with people in the control room, adjusting the EQ for perfection, or as close to they could get it.
In recent years, Talksport has a loud buzz on their carrier for at least ages without doing anything about it (Shoreham site), despite it being reported.
How can you be that neglectful?
Old 5th Apr 2021, 8:46 pm   #6
Jez1234
Banned

The Zverev technique for tuning bandpass filters is a form of practical witchcraft! That's genius.
Old 5th Apr 2021, 10:41 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Some people still haven't worked out why some of my filters have places for shorting links

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (and vice-versa)

David
Old 6th Apr 2021, 12:31 am   #8
Jez1234
Banned

Seeing it work, "just like it says on the tin", on the SA screen, on a filter I'd designed for a 2m receiver (output of LO multiplier chain) was one of the most joyous and grin inducing moments in decades of electronics for me I must admit.
Closed Thread