UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2021, 4:51 pm   #21
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Charlton TV Tubes

That is interesting. Is the phosphor thin in places ? Or is it that small dot size areas are dull? They probably didn't rescreen the tube when they re-gunned it... I was told many re-builders didn't as they thought the phosphor was good for at least one more go! Can the missing dots be seen on the screen when the set is off or just when it has a picture on it?

I often saw the odd 'dot' missing on re-gun colour tubes . Often it was a speck of grot clogging the hole in the shadowmask and if the set was tilted backwards and the screen clobbered with a rubber mallet they would clear. ( our service manager always went for the cheapo re-guns and wouldn't hear that it was false economy ...) The tubes often flashed over taking out sound output transistors or frame...

I hadn't heard of it on a mono CRT well not until today! Probably because we didn't buy mono re-guns we got the Unitra ones with the "gravely" phosphor!
Old 5th Apr 2021, 5:27 pm   #22
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
Nothing is visible when the set is on, looks totally clear. In fact they are virtually impossible to see with the Pye smoked implosion screen in place.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 12:05 am   #23
sexton_mallard
Hexode

I think I see what you mean...dark freckle effects on the faceplate of the CRT in the photo.

Less snakes...more ladders!
Closed Thread