UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2021, 8:50 pm   #21
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: One for old and not so old component collectors.

I used to have a little display cabinet on the wall in my old workshop with some valves, valve boxes and some other bits in it. just making use of a disused display case, and empty valve boxes!

Regards,
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3167.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	231740  
Old 13th Apr 2021, 8:59 pm   #22
BrianAllen
Heptode

That looks great Lloyd; now there's an idea.
Old 13th Apr 2021, 9:13 pm   #23
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
I have a humungus large box of vintage carbon composition resistors that all have drifted out of spec as they are old.

I was thinking maybe, I measure ones that I could use with my meter and re-paint the actual resistance color band codes with acrylic art paint?

They have all drifted up the way and out of spec, what do you reckon ?

Yes/No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
They'll carry on drifting. Often the resistance changes significantly as they warm up.
...and precisely for that reason I can never understand why some restorers like to put new modern resistors in parallel (hidden out of sight) with old carbon types in order to bring the total resistance back down to the original marked value for the sake of 'originality'. They will only drift again so it seems a pointless exercise.
Old 13th Apr 2021, 10:10 pm   #24
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I tried to re-stuff a resistor once... it might have worked if the ceramic didn’t crack! Gave up on that idea pretty quickly.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 13th Apr 2021, 10:40 pm   #25
AdrianH
Octode

I have not been doing this hobby that long, but with a radio repair a 405 line TV and mainly a Solartron scope I have two bags of caps, paper, electrolytic and some form of plastic type. I think just to remind me what ever it is, just change the caps.

Adrian
Old 15th Apr 2021, 2:17 pm   #26
Jez1234
Banned

1960's and older parts tend to go in the bin as usually I've removed them because they're faulty or out of tolerance. Late 60's onward and I have loads of space "wasted" by keeping whole PCB's and even non working gear as donor sources for hard to get/now unobtainium parts. Leaving them on the PCB gives context to the parts and makes it much easier to locate them... that's my excuse anyway!
Old 16th Apr 2021, 7:56 pm   #27
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:

I have a humungus large box of vintage carbon composition resistors that all have drifted out of spec as they are old.

Thank You Graham, Not a good idea then. To the city re-cycle depot they go, and hopefully I don't go into the dumpster with them

If they are new but out-of-spec, don't bin them! I am building up a stock for the electronics shop exhibit at EK. We need a complete shop-full of parts of all ages that have to be genuine original parts that look right but don't have to work.

I need 100 boxes of new wax paper caps, all values, leakage no object. Thousands of electrolytics never to be reformed. Tens of thousands of resistors as drifty as you like. Valves with good getters but O/C heaters, trays of knobs that don't fit anything useful, boxes leaky or whiskered transistors, 1 gross of dial lamps down to air...

Pulls generally aren't suitable for shop stock, but we've got the perfect exhibit for those... the Hobbyist's Shed! I already have a bazillion used components to fill the plastic drawers in that, and next week the shed is arriving to put them in. That's as leaky as the duff capacitors, but it's going inside the warehouse so it doesn't matter.

Quote:
I have loads of space "wasted" by keeping whole PCB's and even non working gear as donor sources for hard to get/now unobtainium parts. Leaving them on the PCB gives context to the parts and makes it much easier to locate them
It's not always a waste of space to do this. I once stripped down a largish machine to save all the model-specific spares. I junked the chassis, casing and all generic parts. Once I had properly packed the spares, I was able to fit them into a box slightly larger than the original machine.
Old 16th Apr 2021, 8:13 pm   #28
newlite4
Octode

I like to keep some of the more interesting capacitors that I have swapped out. I tend not to hold on to old Hunts waxies as they are very commonplace and messy to keep. However some of the early ones with interesting graphics or a paper label with the makers name and component parameters are worth keeping as a historical reference. The early American "snip-outs" in particular can be rather colourful.
Neil