UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2011, 2:07 pm   #1
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Which Quad amp ad in Nov '53 Wireless World ?

Some time in 1953 the Acoustical Manufacturing Co Ltd launched the QUAD II amplifier as a replacement for the amp they'd previously just called the Q.U.A.D. I'm curious to know when this was. I have the Oct and Dec '53 issues of Wireless World and in the Oct one Acoustical were advertising the old Q.U.A.D. In the Dec one it was the Quad II. Does anyone have a copy of WW Nov '53 handy and, if you do, would you mind checking Acoustical's ad and telling me if it was for the Q.U.A.D. or the QUAD II or, perhaps, for one of their other products ?

Cheers,

GJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 53 old QUAD.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	52976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec 53 QUAD II.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	52977  
Old 25th Jun 2011, 10:34 pm   #2
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Which Quad amp ad in Nov '53 Wireless World ?

As far as I know, the Quad II was launched in September, 1953. I should be able to find a reference that confirms. From memory, that date was mentioned in the Gramophone review of the Quad 33/303 which I have somewhere.

The November, 1953 Wireless World ad by Acoustical was for the Corner Ribbon speaker; the same for the September, 1953 issue. August, 1953 had the Q.U.A.D. amplifier, “Loading and Correction” version.

Cheers,
Old 25th Jun 2011, 10:43 pm   #3
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Here are scans of a couple of those ads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 1953-08 p.45.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	53002   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 1953-10 p.15.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	53003  

Last edited by Synchrodyne; 25th Jun 2011 at 11:06 pm.
Old 26th Jun 2011, 12:24 am   #4
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Thanks very much for this. Once again the forum comes up trumps ! It's a little surprising that Acoustical launched the new amp in September but advertised the old one in October's WW. However it seems that even then the magazines had 'got ahead of themselves' so the October issue would certainly have been printed well beforehand and might even have been on the streets early enough in September that a QUAD II ad there would've pre-empted the official launch.

I see that in the Jan '54 issue there's an ad from 'City Sale and Exchange' who are offering both the QUAD II and also 'several secondhand QUAD Mark I Amplifiers reconditioned'. There was no mention of these in their Dec '53 ad so perhaps they represent customers trading in their old kit for the shiny new version just in time for Christmas ? Nothing changes eh ...

Cheers,

GJ

Last edited by GrimJosef; 26th Jun 2011 at 12:31 am.
Old 26th Jun 2011, 10:47 am   #5
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Also, I suspect that the new product launches were done in a more leisurely way back in those days. Maybe a new product would be taken to a show at Earl’s Court or Olympia, and the advertising (and possibly the production) would catch up afterwards.

The September, 1953 date does come from the Gramophone Quad 33/303 review, February 1968 issue. I couldn’t find anything more precise than 1953 in a quick skim through “The Closest Approach” book.

Cheers,
Old 26th Jun 2011, 12:43 pm   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Well there's a blast from the past. I worked at City Sale and Exchange in Cheapside in 1954 and we did indeed sell those amps along with Leak and Rodgers - and Pye, never seen another one of those since though.

Peter
Closed Thread