UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2007, 10:26 pm   #1
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Ekco TS114 cabinet restoration

I picked up this TV recently, which has had some electronic restoration, but the cabinet was very disappointingly poor condition: scratched ,crazed, missing veneer on corners and bubbling veneer etc.

I tried tidying it up, but it looked terrible, and after splicing in and gluing down veneer, I had by this point made the remaining polish worse.

So, as the set was working quite well, I decided a complete strip and polish were needed.
I was working away from home this week so I took it with me, and every evening did an hour or two, stripping with Nitromors and scrapers, wire wool then light sanding.

I then had to stain the cabinet. The original finish was a coloured cellulose two-tone finish; quite dark with two oblongs either side of speaker looking like contrasting veneer, but in fact just done with tinting.
I scored light lines to mark these oblongs, then stained the rest of cabinet with spirit stain, carefully making sure not to go over the lines.
I sealed it with sanding sealer, rubbed down, and purchased a melamine two-part varnish which I brushed on, giving it three coats, rubbing down between.
I also used a coloured pen to hide some marks. I had a few problems where the veneer was very slightly blistered, which caused me to rub through the finish and stain But today I used a rubbing compound to cut back the brush marks; (a bit like T-Cut) and then painted in the white line round the mask area, finishing by very light waxing.
It doesn't look too bad, considering. I reassembled everything, bursting the Ekco enamel badge in the process of doing up the nut
Put it all back together, and it was well worth the effort, looks lovely.

I sat down to watch something on it and relax this evening, and hey presto, the thing's not working, but there you go -typical.

But I am very pleased with the way it looks now, if not the way it performs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frenkenstien.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	9443   Click image for larger version

Name:	ekco cabinet stripped.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	9444   Click image for larger version

Name:	re assembly.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	9445   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	9446  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 10th Jan 2008 at 5:33 pm. Reason: S&P and general readability
Old 29th Apr 2007, 8:25 pm   #2
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: Ekco ts114 cabinet restoration

Well done Chipp

You've done a nice job there. What does the set NOT do now? I'm sure you'll get some help from all the guys on here and it'll work as well as it looks.

Tas
Old 29th Apr 2007, 9:57 pm   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

A very nice job - Wish I could do cabinets like that!

I have one of these sets in my to do pile - sadly some kind soul fitted a 13 channel tuner in the side of the case, so I have some cosmetic work to do.....

Added to the problem of the set being made from a pile of scrappers......

All good stuff!
Old 3rd May 2007, 8:14 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Great job Chipp. It takes skill and patience to do a good cabinet job without it looking out of place. Cheers, John.
Closed Thread