UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2016, 8:16 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default 2 pin DIN plug

Some time ago I asked about the 2 pin DIN plug that is used for the DC input on the Gundig TK6 (and I guess other places). This is not the common DIN loudspeaker plug, but a normal-looking DIN plug with the cylndrical housing round the pins. It has 2 round pins and a plastic peg to open a switch contact in the socket. I have never actually seen such a plug, although it is listed in some old catalogues

There was also a similar 4 pin DIN plug with the plastic peg, and the pins differently spaced to the common 4 pin DIN plug. That one was sold by RS about 30 years ago.

While going through some boxes of oddments (OK 'junk') I found the RS 4 pin one. and it turns out that if you cut off and file down the pins next to the plastic peg, the result will fit the 2 pin socket and will opeate the switch -- almost. The 'almost' is becuase while the pin assembly on its own works, the body is slightly too long and when the plug is assembled the peg doesn't go in far enough to open the contacts. I will try machining a bit off the end of the body.

OK, the 4 pin plug is not easy to find, but it may be easier than the 2 pin one, and this a is a possible solution.
Old 4th Dec 2016, 11:31 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: 2 pin DIN plug

You can also remove the pins by heating them up with a soldering iron long enough to soften the plastic, and pull them out. I have done this to convert 5 pin plugs to 3 pin plugs in the past. Try to avoid breathing the fumes.

If you have a few different styles of DIN plugs try fitting the modified two pin assembly in different bodies - you may find one where it sits a bit further forward, though you may need to modify the lugs on the pin assembly to suit the location holes in the body.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Dec 2016, 11:36 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I thought of heating the pins to remove them (quite often that happens when you solder them anyway...) but these RS ones seem to be better made than most with the pins fairly well moulded into the insulator. I decided cutting them off and then filing the remains was the way least likely to do damage to the insulator (which is what I cared about).

This is one of those metal-body RS DIN plugs where the pins/insulator are held in by a screw on the side that goes into a tapped hole on the cable clamp. Unlike most, the cable clamp is rivetted to the insulator, it doesn't just clip in. I don't think I've got any other bodies it might fit (I do have several common RS DIN plugs with the same body, same hole position). I think it's going to be easiest to stick the body in the lathe and face off the end.

We shall see...
Old 5th Dec 2016, 6:19 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I did some more today.... Putting the pin part into the socket and then sliding the body over it showed (by the non-alignment of the body fixing screw) that the body was indeed too long. It only took a few minutes to turn a bit off the end, now it fits perfectly.

I have a 2 pin DIN plug

I've wired it to a length of that red/black zip wire that Maplin sell. No idea what to put on the other end, so it's just tinned wires with a cable tie added to prevent the cable unzipping too far. But it works.

Incidentally, if the Grundig TK6 circuit diagram is correct, the pins on that socket are numbered 1 and 5. I suspect that's because they are in the same positions as pins 1 and 5 of the 5 pin 240 degree DIN plug.
Closed Thread