UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2016, 9:18 am   #1
Chris308
Tetrode

Default BSR C123R problem

Hi.

I have a BSR C123R deck that is not working properly. The autochange spindle is snagging on the linkage under the deck. I have seen elsewhere that this may be due to the platter having been forced round. How can I return the platter to its correct position?

Thanks
Old 12th Sep 2016, 10:59 am   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR C123R problem

The spindle, when in the correct position, should have the gap in the lower part pointing towards the back, right hand side of the deck. If it is already in that position, something else is causing the problem. If it has been forced out of position, you'll need to remove the turntable, insert the spindle into the centre post, then grip the centre post with mole grips and turn it to the correct position. Wrap the centre post with plenty of masking tape first, or you'll mark it with the grips, then the turntable won't run smoothly. If it is loose, you may have to fix it in place from underneath the deck with Araldite.
Old 12th Sep 2016, 1:06 pm   #3
Chris308
Tetrode

Thanks for the reply.

Do I need to remove the platter from the record player?

If so how do I do that?

Thanks
Old 12th Sep 2016, 1:15 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

AS Audio1950 has said, the platter (Turntable) does need to be removed. It is held in place by a circlip around the centre post. The clip may be covered by a small trim disc, which is removable by carefully prising it off.
Old 12th Sep 2016, 1:22 pm   #5
Chris308
Tetrode

Many thanks
Old 13th Sep 2016, 9:27 am   #6
Chris308
Tetrode

Hi

I have had another look at the deck the . The circlip has already been removed, but I can not get the platter to lift up, I don't want to break it by being too heavy handed, any advice?
When the turntable is spinning the centre post and spindle spin with the platter is this supposed to happen?

Thanks
Old 13th Sep 2016, 10:49 am   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Sounds like the platter is seized to the bearing hub and the whole lot is rotating when you rotate the platter.

If that's the case then you might be able to remove the platter by applying some releasing/penetrating fluid between the hub and the platter and some heat with a hair dryer while somehow stopping the hub from rotating when when trying to free the platter.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 13th Sep 2016 at 10:56 am. Reason: correction
Old 14th Sep 2016, 9:47 am   #8
Chris308
Tetrode

Hi

I have got the platter free from the hub without lifting the platter by gripping the hub with molegrips and spinning up the turntable. All is now ok and running well.

Thanks for the help
Closed Thread