UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2016, 7:24 pm   #1
Rollhard
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette major Deluxe 21 Help

Hi. Im totaly new to record players and im looking for help.
Ok so i have got my hands on a Dansette major Deluxe 21 for pennies because it was sold as not working. After opening it up and having a look i dont think the Transistor that has come with it belongs to the record player. Can anyone with more experience let me know if it is in fact the right one and if not where can i get a replacement.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	129678   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	129679  
Old 5th Sep 2016, 7:39 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Dansette major Deluxe 21 Help

Transistor? Do you mean transformer? Your pic shows a transformer of some sort, but it isn't connected to anything. There is no amplifier at all, either valve or transistor. What do you have in mind for it?
Old 5th Sep 2016, 7:43 pm   #3
parlourtw73vs
Pentode

After looking at the 2nd. pic I'm sure I can see a valve lurking in the background but if that's connected to empty air as well I can't discern.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 7:43 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There seems to be a valve in the corner of the second photo...
Old 5th Sep 2016, 7:48 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Yes, you're right, there's certainly a valve there, though the condition and status of the amp is anyone's guess.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 7:48 pm   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Could you post some photos of the inside of the player, were the valves are etc. As Paul asked what have you in mind?
Frank
Old 6th Sep 2016, 11:42 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If there is a valve, it will be just the one EL84. If the 2 control knobs are still at the front, there must be something else inside besides fresh air? Edward
Old 11th Sep 2016, 9:13 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

No more has been heard from the OP on this.
Quite a common occurence WRT Portable Record Player enquiries wherein there is no "quick fix".
Edward
Old 11th Sep 2016, 9:58 am   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You can say that again Edward. In fact we keep on doing just that. It only seems to apply to one type of vintage item though. Funny that Perhaps a protocol requiring more of an ongoing response from the OP would help?
It's a difficult one.

Dave W
Old 11th Sep 2016, 10:38 am   #10
Station X

The OP posted at 7:24 PM on 5 September. He then returned at 10:11 PM that evening, presumably to read the replies to his post. It's quite likely that he read a post, since deleted, which was very unhelpful and unwelcoming. Perhaps that's why he decided not to return? I guess we'll never know now.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Sep 2016, 12:58 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Oh dear,well everyone gets things wrong and typos ,I certainly do.

Welcome back if indeed you are reading this,plenty of good solid advice available.
Old 11th Sep 2016, 3:56 pm   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I can't see anything that was in any way off-putting in the replies we sent. Sometimes it's essential that we Post back asking for more info, essential to help the OP further - lest we all end up making assumptions, something I am often guilty of! Edward
Old 11th Sep 2016, 5:12 pm   #13
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I can't see anything that was in any way off-putting in the replies we sent. Edward
That's because the offending posts have been deleted, but possibly not before they were seen by the OP. Posting comments such as "We haven't heard back from the OP" less than a day after he first posted is unhelpful. Many people have jobs to go to and can't spend all day surfing the forums.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Sep 2016, 10:24 pm   #14
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks for that very helpful info Graham. Moderators can see more of what's going on and of course have the [uneviable] responsibility for trying to keep things in balance-"a difficult one" as I said earlier. There seems to be a lot of non returners though and they can't all have been put off by a random comment [if indeed they are] plus other explanations might apply-we don't know as you say because they are absent.

I'm more concerned about people who do stay but sometimes seem oblivious to cautionary advice. This is perhaps unfair to those trying to help them out never mind being somewhat worrying. I kept a list of NSA's [never seen again] at one point because it seemed such a frequent [and impolite] occurrence but I forgot that there might be a difference between NSA and.... actually returned quietly. Times are changing. I was on the Forum for a long time before posting. I don't think I would even have thought of seeking direct help in the first place in the way that people now start off...never mind leaving without comment! That didn't seem to be the way things worked then. Maybe I'm a lot more old fashioned than I imagine but I have always thought that the Forum's caring, considerate attitude is it's greatest strength

Cheers,
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 11th Sep 2016 at 10:36 pm.
Old 12th Sep 2016, 12:10 am   #15
Nukeybrown
Heptode

I'm a silent returner for numerous reasons which if explained may cause offence even though they are not person specific.
Old 12th Sep 2016, 11:40 am   #16
dave walsh
Dekatron

That's very honest NB. I think most of us do the same from time to time for the same sort of reasons, another question of balance. By definition though, with 100+ posts so far, you'll never be a silent returner [good expression] who THEN becomes NSA. You don't qualify for that-thank goodness

Dave
Closed Thread