UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2016, 11:48 am   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default BSR C1 cartridge problems

Hi, just recently bought one of these old stock cartridges and upon fitting it isn't picking up from the stylus. It isn't actually 'dead' as it is making noise if I rub my finger across it but other than that it is just not picking up from the record. I just wondered what it could be and if it could be repaired. I had the same problem with the X3M cartridge that it was supposed to replace. There is no problem with the player as I have hooked up a new cartridge which worked fine. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Old 5th Sep 2016, 12:10 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR C1 cartridge problems

If you are quite sure that the connections to the 4 pins are good and that there is NO FAULT at all on the amplifier, then there is a mechanical problem with the way the styus is sitting on its pad to make a good contact to the ceramic/crystal elelment. But you said this has happened before with a BSR X3M cartridge. Can you post a pic of the cartridge please and state what player you are using. Is C1 the correct model number for that cartridge? Edward
Old 5th Sep 2016, 3:13 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

If you have tried a new cartridge and it works, then I suspect that both the C1 and the X3M are dead. Both these cartridges date to the late 1960s, so I wouldn't expect either of them to have survived, as they have both been obsolete for many years. In the case of the C1 at least, NOS doesn't guarantee that an item is working, just that is has never been sold, and has been lying in a drawer somewhere for the last forty eight years, where it has been gradually disintegrating.

Last edited by Audio1950; 5th Sep 2016 at 3:18 pm.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 8:14 pm   #4
sp10mk11
Octode

What Audio1950 has said is sad but often true of old cartridges like this, I have had mint in box sealed ones that were dead :-(
Old 5th Sep 2016, 8:18 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Sometimes repair is possible though.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 9:53 pm   #6
electrogram
Heptode

I've had both of the above mention cartridges where the foils and the pins are tarnished where they contact each other. If these are carefully cleaned and care is taken to ensure a good contact on reassembly you may end up with a working cartridge
Old 6th Sep 2016, 2:46 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

Likewise. With care they can be opened by drilling out the rivet, gently clean the tarnished parts and reassamble. I have done tis with Sonotones many times. The c1 is ceramic not crystal, so you have a fighting chance!
Old 6th Sep 2016, 6:32 pm   #8
sp10mk11
Octode

Good point about possibly repairing them chaps

I will have a go some time
Gary
Old 7th Sep 2016, 9:39 am   #9
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I have managed to get it working now, it was due to badly tarnished pins. I know there's always a risk with NOS but it was only £10 compared to £40+ for a replica so I thought I'd take the gamble!

Cheers everyone
Closed Thread