UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2014, 6:03 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Ancient wooden adaptor

Hi,
Reading a recent thread about trade marks on plugs, etc. reminded me that I have a 15 Amp round pin adaptor also bearing the GAC logo. It is made of wood with hard fibrous disks around the sockets. I was discussing with a friend what type of fine grain wood it's likely to be. At the time we thought maybe ash or maple. Now I'm thinking boxwood. I was useless at woodwork, perhaps our learned members can assist?

Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wooden adaptor (2).jpg
Views:	279
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	93812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wooden adaptor (3).jpg
Views:	256
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	93813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wooden adaptor (4).jpg
Views:	245
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	93814  
Old 4th Jun 2014, 7:05 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Ancient wooden adaptor

Looks more like mahogany from where the finish has come off, typical faded look just like the mahogany veneer finish on some of my televisions.
Old 4th Jun 2014, 7:05 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
I was discussing with a friend what type of fine grain wood it's likely to be
"Lignum Vitae" - whatever that is - was often the material-of-choice for such things. It was also the traditional wood-of-choice for the formers and mauls used by plumbers/lead-beaters when making bends in lead pipework.
Old 5th Jun 2014, 11:22 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

Another candidate would be spindle wood. It was used to make the wooden parts for spinning machines. There would have been plenty to hand when electrical uses came along as the old industry was closing down at the same time.
Closed Thread