UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2016, 8:19 pm   #1
Valvepower
Octode

Default Bush SRP52 record player DIN Skt clips

Hi All,

I’m working on a Bush SRP52 record player and I want to remove the tape and stereo DIN sockets. Does anyone know of a way of removing the push-on spring retainer clips holding the sockets in place?

I could go at the clips using a screwdriver and pliers but I just wondered if there is a more elegant way of removing them?

Regards
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160904_005.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	129641  
Old 4th Sep 2016, 10:14 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bush SRP52 record player DIN Skt clips

Prising clips like that off with a screwdriver is the only way I know of to remove them, but I'm wondering why you would want to remove those sockets unless they're faulty. They are part of the design and original appearance of the player of the player after all.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 8:43 am   #3
Valvepower
Octode

Many thanks for the reply.

The reason for removing them is to try and polish them up a bit as the bezel has become corroded and rusted. I didn’t want to damage the brushed aluminium facia the two sockets are mounted on so I felt it prudent to remove them, well that’s until I saw the nasty clips!

I’m wondering if it’s going to be far easier to mask off the facia and using fibre glass pen gently remove the corrosion and rust and then buff them up.

Terry
Old 5th Sep 2016, 8:54 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Maybe that's the best way, Terry. There may be a special tool for removing that type of clip, but I've never come across one. The other thing is that, unless you're very lucky when getting them off, the clips probably wouldn't securely hold those sockets in place when refitted. They're another example of how to make it easy to assemble things in a factory (quicker than two screws or rivets per DIN Socket!), but difficult to remove & reassemble later.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 8:54 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, I would try to polish them in-situ too.

Alternatively, cut off the clips, but then what would you re-fix them with? Glue at a pinch, maybe.

N.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 9:31 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Under service life the sockets would only ever be removed if faulty, new sockets I would expect to be supplied with the clips.
Yes mask the area and clean them that way.
Frank
Old 5th Sep 2016, 8:40 pm   #7
Valvepower
Octode

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose this is the down side of quick fit spring clips – great for manufacture but not for restoration some 45 years on, but I suppose it was not intended to be still around some 45 years on.

A friend popped by the workshop today and he saw the bezel of the connectors and he said in some ‘collectable’ markets the corrosion would be seen as patina and you’d leave it alone

It came up ok using a fibre glass pen and some Servisol.

I dissembled the AB pots and cleaned the metal parts using a fibre pen along with a light clean of the track using a cloth and some Servisol as they were intermittent. The quiescent pot had doubled in value, this was replaced with one found in the workshop!

Terry
Closed Thread