UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2012, 1:50 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default English Electric Wash'n'Rinse

Fish'n'Chips... This'n'that... British Summer'n'Amber Flood Alert

A few classic examples of our love of something'n'something else pairings to which I can now add 'Wash'n'Rinse'- the snappy name of a washing appliance aimed squarely at the modern housewife circa 1959.

This wonderful machine came to me via a house clearance chappy and was located only a twenty minute drive from here. The property being cleared was a bay-fronted Victorian mid terrace, which had apparently been home to an elderly gent until his recent demise. It was one of those fantastic houses where time had apparently stopped some time in the 70s. Swirly wallpaper abounded, as did polystyrene ceiling tiles and bakelite light switches with metal conduits which weren't channelled into the walls. The internal doors had been flush-fitted with hardboard panels and beading, along with opalescent red plastic handles as was the trend at the turn of the 60s, in a bid to banish the dust traps presented by traditional doors with recessed panels.

The back room and kitchen decor was darkened orange with nicotine. The previous owner had obviously enjoyed his fags!

So to the washing machine: This had been wheeled into the shed in favour of a very new looking twin tub, so had perhaps not long been out of service. It's fitted with a rubberised round pin 15a plug- there was probably a suitable power point in the kitchen, although I didn't notice. Condition is great and the styling- well, I just love it! And it's all there, including the square lid to provide some extra worktop space. The mangle detaches and stows in a compartment in a side of the machine. Even the rubber hoses are both present and have not perished. I'm not sure of the purpose of the little meter graduated 1-4 on the front. I suspect it's simply a mechanical temperature guage. Perhaps the user manual grouped various fabrics into 4 heat settings, for some guidance.

With a little time and love, this will I'm sure be back in service soon. One thing I would like to find though is a 60s spin dryer... let me know if you can help!

Here are some pics of it as recovered:

Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer1.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	69108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer2.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	69109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer3.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	69110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer4.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	69111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer5.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	69112  

Last edited by Colourstar; 28th Jul 2012 at 1:59 pm.
Old 28th Jul 2012, 1:55 pm   #2
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: English Electric Wash'n'Rinse

Whilst I had the opportunity, I was able to salvage a few other domestic bygones for posterity. Three white-wood sloping kitchen wall cupboards came home with me. They are lined with some fantastically period wallpaper off-cuts. The paint (and glass doors) and dingy with smoke.

I also found room for a supremely comfortable 50s settee and matching armchair. Luckily our man restricted his Captan full strength to the back room and the front room, where this suite was, was saved for Sunday best.

Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cupbd1.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	69113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofa.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	69114  
Old 28th Jul 2012, 3:16 pm   #3
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I suspect that it may be a little earlier than 1959.
Around '53 or so, I think, as an aunt had one, in her then-new house, which I am sure was shortly after the Coronation.

Now, it is a long time ago, and memory can fail, but may be worth checking.
Old 28th Jul 2012, 3:40 pm   #4
paulsherwin

This was the standard UK domestic washing machine design in the 50s before being ousted in many homes by a twin tub in the 60s. My mother certainly owned a similar (possibly identical) one when I was small.
Old 28th Jul 2012, 4:46 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: English Electric Wash'n'Rinse

Hi,
My aunty had one of these, although I remember it had two controls on the front instead of four (the next model down, perhaps?). I think it was a different colour scheme as well. I recall that it had grey flex & an ivory coloured Crabtree 13amp plug. Sad, isn't it?
She also had a Burco wash boiler which was the only source of hot water in her north Wales cottage. It sat at the end of the bath in the outhouse.
Cheers, Pete
Old 29th Jul 2012, 9:32 am   #6
Colourstar
Octode

Hi Pete, I've found a photo of the lower spec version of my machine, which sounds like the one you remember:

http://www.automaticwasher.info/TD/A...1-15-03-44.jpg

This model would not have had a heater. The two controls seem to be one to engage the washing action and another to pump out the water. The four controls on mine are motor on/off, heater on/off, washing action engage lever and pump operation lever.

I'm fairly convinced these machines are post 1955; the presentation and styling touches, such as the typeface on the plastic controls say the mid-to-latter part of the decade to me. I know that makes me a real anorak, but there you go! Of course I'm happy to be proved wrong!!

Steve
Old 29th Jul 2012, 1:32 pm   #7
Stubble
Pentode

English Electric Wash'n'Rinse, just shows the old en’s are the best; it looks in great shape, just a good clean and wash till you drop.
Old 29th Jul 2012, 9:22 pm   #8
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: English Electric Wash'n'Rinse

Hi,
Thanks for posting the pic Steve. Yes, that's the one! I presume that on the lower spec machine, the motor started as soon as it was plugged in.
My mother had a very simple "Goblin" (the vacuum cleaner people) washing machine. Hand operated wringer and no controls at all, the agitator starting at plug-in.
Later on she treated herself to an "Adamatic" twin tub.
Cheers, Pete
Old 9th Aug 2012, 9:38 am   #9
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Luckily our man restricted his Captan full strength to the back room and the front room, where this suite was, was saved for Sunday best
You've just evoked a horrible radio related smoking memory.

When I was a young TO on D Shift at Broadcasting House in the early seventies the STO who oversaw our training was a heavy user of Capstan Full Strength and we were forced to incarcerate ourselves with him in a small mixer cubicle pouring over technical diagrams whilst he puffed away.....we hated it but our grumbles to the Tech Ops Manager went unheeded as he sat in his ivory tower amidst a cloud of Senior Service smoke!!

Alvin
Old 9th Aug 2012, 12:36 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Mention of the tumble drier reminded me of the Creda 'Debonair' that I bought my mother in 1966. Great machine but it literally rusted away finally wobbling to a heap on the quarry tiled kitchen floor. I had warned her of the posible disaster but she insisted it would still do 'another turn'. Things were so simple then. English Electric also made T.V. receivers.. J.
Old 9th Aug 2012, 12:45 pm   #11
Brigham
Octode

"English Electric also made T.V. receivers.."

...Among other things!
Old 9th Aug 2012, 1:45 pm   #12
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Hi,
I think with English Electric, it was a case of: 'You name it, they made 'em!'
Cheers, Pete
Old 16th Mar 2014, 10:03 pm   #13
Colourstar
Octode

Time to revive this thread, as the machine has been purely ornamental in the kitchen all this time and needs to start earning its living!

The original 15 amp round pin plug was swapped for a modern (but still 60s) 13 amp plug. I checked the motor was free to turn (it was) and that the wash mechanism wasn't engaged, ie it was in 'neutral'.

A quick switch on for a few seconds resulted in a hum from the motor, but no movement and a release of white smoke!

It's been suggested that this machine may use an induction motor and that the smoke issued from a capacitor expressing it's distress at being woken after decades of dormancy. The motor is hard to examine in situ.

So the bleaker prospect would seem to be that if it's a conventional motor the smoke could be from an internal breakdown of the windings, whereas if it's an induction type it could be a duff capacitor.

Steve
Old 17th Mar 2014, 12:24 am   #14
McMurdo
Dekatron

acrid white smoke is the sort of thing you get from a motor capacitor, I would look for that first
Old 17th Mar 2014, 4:23 am   #15
AC/HL
Dekatron

I don't know where EE made washing machines, but the plastic knobs were made in their Foundry in Bradford, where my Dad worked.
Probably some of the castings too, they certainly made the larger motor castings there.
Old 17th Mar 2014, 12:34 pm   #16
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I don't know where EE made washing machines, but the plastic knobs were made in their Foundry in Bradford, where my Dad worked.
Probably some of the castings too, they certainly made the larger motor castings there.
In which case, my Dad probably drew them, he worked in the Drawing Office there until they closed in 1961 and moved to Kidsgrove? Congleton?

Richard
Old 17th Mar 2014, 12:57 pm   #17
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

EE certainly had a plant in Kidsgrove - it was part of the EELM [English Electric Leo Marconi] computer-manufacturing operation (whence came the KDF-series of computers, KDF standing for Kidsgrove Development Facility).

Later on it was one of ICL's operating-software-development sites for their "2900" series of mainframes.
Old 17th Mar 2014, 5:37 pm   #18
Colourstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
acrid white smoke is the sort of thing you get from a motor capacitor, I would look for that first
Thanks Kevin. It had that kind of look/smell to it.

Steve
Old 19th Mar 2014, 2:48 am   #19
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
EE certainly had a plant in Kidsgrove - it was part of the EELM [English Electric Leo Marconi] computer-manufacturing operation (whence came the KDF-series of computers, KDF standing for Kidsgrove Development Facility)
KdF Computers. I always thought they were German!
Old 15th Apr 2014, 8:57 am   #20
saxmaniac
Heptode

This looks like a hot point countess which was very common in the 50s and60s. EE and Hpt were part of GEC. I can't remember on this one but the motor may have had a start relay which needs to stay upright or the start winding will be connected permanently resulting in smoke in a few seconds.
Closed Thread