UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2012, 1:35 am   #1
Danny
Heptode

Default A tale of two teles (masteradio)

These two tvs came from last harpenden there is a third but thats another story. I took a shine to these sets masteradio T851 and T852 .
The T851 comes fitted from the factory with a radio the T852 has provision for the radio to be fitted later. I started with the first set with radio . After removing the back i was greated with lots of dust and dirt and upon inspection i noticed some one had removed the speaker an cut all the wires from the radio shassis so the radi was repaired first and recaped with nice yellow Bvws caps the radio is a separate ac/dc set of the era. no real problems were found it just worked when bench tested from a bench psu. the tv shassis was removed and again fitted with new capacitors I also bridged the old rectifier with a nice new silicon diode with series resistor. The visconol was removed a nice new mains cable was next then i noticed a factory mistake the red wire whent to shassis and the black to the fuse meaning a live shassis this looked very origanal and later the second set had the same mistake. power was applied and the valves lit nicely the line could be heard running and once a signal was applied low sound could be heard with vision buzz. so i retuned the tunning slug and got good sound from my birmingham signal not much on the screen. i checked the eht and it was about 6kv the manual says 6.5kv so it should be ok. next i did my usual check by shorting the crt grid to cathode and a line appered across the screen this was dull. upon moving the hight control the line turned into a raster the hight control had a dead spot cured with a spot of switch cleaner. voltage checks on the grid and cathode of the crt proved i should have got a picture . I then noticed the tube was a crm121b this tube neede 9kv to work properly so i got brave and give it some extra eht from my bench supply a picture of sorts came up but it was poor the tube was sadly showing signs of being worn out . I tried boosting it but this only gave margonal improvement. so i tried my one and only spare crm121a this cured the fault proving the rest of the set was working then only reboxing and polishing to complete the set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t851 1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	62329   Click image for larger version

Name:	t851 2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	62330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0066.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	62331  
Old 9th Feb 2012, 1:49 am   #2
Danny
Heptode

Default Re: A tale of two teles (masteradio)

One strange thing with both these sets is the choice of cabinet bottoms two radio backs for D105 sets. The next set nearly got left as i removed the back and again the speaker was missing but the tube had been disconected at the base and the eht lead had been cut. But i replaced the waxies fitted a diode and surge resitor reconnected everything back up and switched it strait on . Not expecting much but got the biggest suprise ever when the set produced a resonable picture that just got better as the set woke up as can be seen from the pictures i havent even cleaned the dust off. and little work has been done to this set after reboxing and polishing i have run it for about a day without even adjusting any of the hold controls although both sets are stable this set is the best ive retored this year . Danny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t852 1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	62332   Click image for larger version

Name:	t852 2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	62333   Click image for larger version

Name:	t852 3.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	62334  
Old 9th Feb 2012, 2:31 pm   #3
IJK2008
Hexode

Default Re: A tale of two teles (masteradio)

Danny

You have done a great job on these. I think the design with the radio on top is very stylish. How old are these sets - early 50s?

Cheers

Ian
Closed Thread