UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2009, 2:58 pm   #1
Paul Galpin
Triode

Default AVO meter movement sensitivity

One of my (two) AVOs was reading low, by about 5%. I was scratching my head about this, looking at the beast, wondering what to do, and I spotted a bar, held by a central screw, across the poles. Memories of "magnetic shunt" came to mind, and since the bar was obviously not part of the structure, I tried loosening the screw and turning the bar. Straight away the meter, which was showing 4.8V for 5.00 in, went up to 5.4!

Logic says -
1. the number of turns on the coil is fixed by design, and anyway it can only be changed in increments of one whole turn.
2. The magnetic pole dimensions are fixed
3.The magnetic strength (flux) is fixed

So the only way to make it manufacturable is to make the magnet a bit stronger than you need, and "short-circuit" some of it out by an adjustable steel bar.

Well, it worked for me. Maybe it's not necessary on the later models, but these are 75 year-old horseshoe magnets I'm talking about.

I'd be glad to hear if anyone else has tried this, and how well it worked.
Any thoughts?

Paul Galpin
Old 5th Mar 2009, 6:10 pm   #2
GeorgSc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: AVO meter movement sensitivity

Hello Paul,
I have seen this "magnetic shunt" on much younger
instruments.
Regards
Georg
Old 5th Mar 2009, 8:57 pm   #3
AVO_VCM163
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: AVO meter movement sensitivity

Yes, your arguments are correct!

This is quite a usual arrangement where it is necessary to obtain both an accurate sensitivity AND resistance. Hence it is important in multi-range instruments having shunts and series components thus obviating the need for individual selection of auxiliary components in a mass production environment. Simple meters do not necessarily have this adjustment.

Unfortunately some AVO meter movements, particularly it seems those used in valve testers and some smaller multi-purpose instruments did suffer from a change in magnetic flux over the years.

Regards,
R
Closed Thread