UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2009, 8:27 pm   #1
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Default Tektronix oscilloscope info

Hi all i've just had this scope brought into work, it's destined to be dismantled and used in a stage set i am working on but before i do am i going to be wrecking anything desirable? i've never seen one qiute like it, i'm guessing it is milatery speck as it's full of very high quality components all transformers are in oil filled cans.
As you can see from the photo it is very mucky and has spent years in a bacement but i managed to make out the model number as CB5r8
any idea when i was made?
if it is worth saveing i could probly find some other junk to use in the set.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0004.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	22686  
Old 26th Jan 2009, 8:49 pm   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Tektronix oscilloscope info

The photo is a bit blurry, but could it be a Solartron CA570? It certainly looks to be of UK manufacture - just look at the co-ax sockets and the binding post terminals.

Ron
Old 26th Jan 2009, 9:06 pm   #3
GMB
Dekatron

It's a CT316.

I thought I had a manual for this but I seem to have lost it.

I used one of these at school.
It's unusual in having the meter to measure the DC offset of the trace.
Old 26th Jan 2009, 9:34 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

The label at the top of the scope in the photo looks more like CD518 than CT316.

A previous posting by WME_Bill said ".... apart from the RRE Malvern D300, marketed as Solartron CT316, which was later developed into the Solartron CD568."

Duke_Nukem's site has a CD518/CD568 manual, which has no picture, but it implies that the 518 and 568 were basically the same, with differences in the timebase calibrators.

Ron
Old 26th Jan 2009, 10:29 pm   #5
jay_oldstuff
Octode

yea sory about the poor quality pic chaps i took it very quickely with my phone just before leaving for home.
it could infact be a Solartron my memory is failing me at the tender age of 29.
when i get in tomorow i'll have a go at cleaning it up abit and try to get a better picture.

Jay
Old 27th Jan 2009, 12:03 am   #6
GMB
Dekatron

CT316 is the military designation and I guess it might have been made by more than one manufacturer and I'm sure they would have had their own number for it too.

I have photos showing the manufacturer as Hartley, written clearly at the bottom, but I have heard of Solartron being the manufacturer (or is this a take-over issue).

This scope is so unique that I don't think there is any chance of being mistaken.
By the way, I think it's quite a decent scope - and is perhaps not as old as it appears. I would be very sad to know that one was being cut up for parts. I have even considered trying to get one myself although this would be purely for nostalgic reasons. It was the first scope I encountered that had a triggered timebase that worked properly, and actual DC Y-amp.
Old 27th Jan 2009, 10:13 am   #7
Mike-repairman
Heptode

I had one of those, built like a battleship and weighed a ton.

I'm pretty sure I had mine in the early seventies and it was old then; possibly of 60's manufacture or maybe earlier?

Manuals appear to be available still but couldn't find any free ones to date it.

Mike.
Old 27th Jan 2009, 11:12 pm   #8
jay_oldstuff
Octode

ok chaps gave it a bit of a going over today with the airline to get some of the muck off it's a solartron CD518
and seems in prity good nick under all that muck.
Mods any chance of amending the title as i't is definitely a solartron

Jay
Old 28th Jan 2009, 9:53 am   #9
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Jay, perhaps CD518 is the private designation of the model number and CT316 the military one. Or perhaps it's an updated model, but it is instantly recognisable.

Not a bad scope, but pretty basic by modern standards.

Hope you get it going.

Mike.
Old 28th Jan 2009, 10:47 am   #10
ronbryan
Octode

There is a manual for the CD518/568 on Duke_Nulem's site here.

http://www.thevalvepage.com/download...&dir=solartron

Ron
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 2:31 pm   #11
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Please don't scrap such a beautiful old scope! It's definitely worth saving.

If I wasn't out of the country at the moment I'd offer to come and rescue it (and indeed swap you some similarly "Sci-fi looking" actual scrap in its place).

This model actually has a slight claim to (very minor) fame, in that how the valves are mounted in two rows at the top* under the air vent was a novel arrangement for the time, and an article was published in one of the mechanical engineering journals about it. ISTR this is mentioned in the service manual?

* am I thinking of the right scope here?
Closed Thread