UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2020, 6:05 pm   #1
MonoPhono
Diode

Default Cambridge PYE Radio Valve Set

Hi everybody
Need some advice please
Today I picked up a Walnut veneered radio set: The model number on the back states: T.19.D. Cambridge PYE Set.
All the usual controls seem fine, But, I’m only picking up MW stations: The back panel here seems to be missing some sort of ‘Ariel input’ I wonder is there a connection (or) wire needed for me to pick up better reception & or channels?
Thanks in advance

Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8522CBE1-72DD-4666-87AE-A67D7E3DF5DC.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	209339   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D05556A-CEF2-46E8-954B-04162A0DB8C4.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	209340  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 6:12 pm   #2
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Cambridge PYE Radio Valve Set

The clue is in those two sockets pictured. Try plugging in a 15-foot length of wire into the socket marked Aerial. Sets of that vintage usually relied on an external aerial - ideally a 50- foot length of wire 15 to 20 feet off the ground and extending from the house to a pole or tree at the bottom of the garden

The set may well be earthed already via the mains Earth, so that aspect is probably sorted.

Martin
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 6:21 pm   #3
MonoPhono
Diode

Thank you, Martin

One other thing, our family had for twenty-five years an Ekco Radio set-very similar-& that had in the back a little 'plug' where the two equally similar entry point were - the back does loosen very easily, would there be a 'point' where I could attach aerial wire direct (and) use the method you stated?

Regards

Bryan
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 8:06 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

Attaching permanently requires soldering so not a good idea. The "Wander" plug
connector was a split pin of 1/8"(3mm) diameter if you can find one. You will
need a long wire for long wave. The "T" means the set has the obsolete "Trawler" band.
Don't be disappointed if you don't pick up much on shortwave (China excepting) as SW
broadcasting has very much declined in recent years.
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 10:06 pm   #5
MonoPhono
Diode

Thank you also for this advice, will buy some aerial wire tomorrow-Best Bryan.
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 10:43 pm   #6
Hartley118
Nonode

You can manage without a plug if you double back the stripped bare end of the aerial wire over the insulation and just bung it into the socket: that should make contact with the hollow socket. Not too far mind, or it might come out the other side and cause all sorts of fun & games under the chassis!

Martin
Old 24th Jun 2020, 8:44 am   #7
crackle
Rest in Peace

A "T" suffix often means the set was designed as an export model and often had an additional SW band instead of LW. But in this case it looks like the T did stand for Trawler band.
The radio has no internal aerial so just get the longest piece of wire you can find, bear the end, fold it back on itself a few times and shove it in the Aerial hole.
Turn the volume down first.
If you want to go and listen on the SW bands then a good high 30 foot long wire aerial stretching down the garden should suffice.

Mike
Old 24th Jun 2020, 10:30 am   #8
Gabe001
Octode

I've seen these crop up in pictures quite a bit (Tecsun AN-200 Tunable AM Radio Loop Antenna) and the reviews look quite impressive. No direct connection with the radio necessary, just place it in close proximity. I don't have experience myself but maybe someone here can comment. Available from eBay or direct from china (AliExpress) for around £20-£30 and I have no affiliation with the seller.

With regard to the wander plugs for the sockets these can be hard to come buy. You can find 3mm banana plugs for sale (note that standard banana plugs are 4mm) and these fit in some but not all models, when they can be too thin (standard socket width for wander plugs is 3.2mm). Alternatively, someone has mentioned previously on this forum that Split-Pins Cotter Lock Retaining Pins can be used as an alternative (size 3.2mm by 25mm).
Hope this helps
Gabriel
Old 24th Jun 2020, 12:18 pm   #9
Hartley118
Nonode

According to the Radio Museum, the T19D covers a very comprehensive eight wavebands, including long wave and trawler band. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pye_t19dt_19.html .

The fact that without an external aerial it only works on medium wave may just be due to you being close to powerful London transmitters such as Brookmans Park. The only UK Long Wave station is Droitwich, a rather long way from Ealing. Likewise, powerful short wave stations are these days rather few and far between - mostly Chinese or Rumanian (broadcasting in English). You certainly need that external aerial for short wave reception.

If after connecting an aerial you find it still works on one band but not others, the fault may be a dirty wavechange switch. You can generally tell by the loud crackling sound when it's operated. This can be rectified with a spray of 'Servisol 10' switch cleaner on the switch wafers. You may find there's a removeable bottom panel which gives useful access to under-chassis components such as the wavechange switch.

Best of luck.

Martin
Old 24th Jun 2020, 1:30 pm   #10
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

If you ask for aerial wire today you may end up with coax, it would work if the outer was used but is more expensive to buy than a single conductor that is needed. Almost any single conductor will be ok, even skip find mains T&E wire can be striped down and used leaving one insulated wire. Strip 20mm of insulation, double stripped part back on itself an stick it in the aerial socket.
Has any work been carried out on the set? if not before switching on again the audio coupling capacitor(c32) should be changed. These only cost a few pence, if it fails it will take out many major expensive parts, in effect writing off the set.

John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 24th Jun 2020 at 1:36 pm.
Closed Thread