UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2018, 3:26 pm   #1
thyratron
Tetrode

Default Garrard GC2 and deliquescence

I took some pictures having stripped the cartridge. I wonder if i can fit new Rochelle salt?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gc2a.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	158980   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc2b.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	158981   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc2g.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	158982   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc2h.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	158983   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc2c.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	158984  

Old 10th Mar 2018, 4:37 pm   #2
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Garrard GC2 and deliquescence

I think it's gone a bit far for that!
You might be able to just transplant the entite innards from another modern unit thogh.

David.
Old 10th Mar 2018, 4:41 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Even if you were to do that, you will still end up with a rather limited functionality "Mono only" cartridge not suitable for Stereo LPs.
Old 10th Mar 2018, 9:19 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Interesting question which got me thinking.
Firstly I have opened up many cartridges but apart from cleaning the contacts I have never replaced the crystal. I certainly don’t think you can do any thing with the one you have shown in the pics.
I took a brief look into obtaining new crystals or even making your own, it may be possible but it depends on how far you want to go, if you do succeed I’d be interested to know how you got on, good luck.
Cheers
John
Old 10th Mar 2018, 11:51 pm   #5
astro63
Pentode

I've tried several times with the GC6 like the GC2 but fitted in the Garrard BA1 single player and found that a slight modification had to be done on the part where the stylus slips in to hold it in place as the crystal in some are longer and when click the cartridge shell together cracked the end of the crystal where the foil wires come from, I havent tried to do it with GC2 cartridge BUT if your planning to try then a ronette crystal tends to be the shortest in lengh, good luck
Closed Thread