UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2018, 8:43 pm   #1
mikehobson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fidelity HF45

Hi I have had a Fidelity HF45 for years. I have tried to run it but it seems to be running slow counted rpm roughly it was about 5 out. Seen videos that says to clean out and renew old grease. My questions are what grease should I use, and I wish to replace any drive belts it has and where can I obtain them from. Thanks.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 9:56 pm   #2
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Fidelity HF45

Hi,
I would suspect old hardened grease and the need for a full service could well be the speed problem, and I would think most members would recommend light grease (Moly type) for cam gear (not trip mech.) and turntable bearings, etc. and sewing machine oil for motor bearings (do not drown them in oil)

The HF45 (BSR deck) does not have drive belts, it has an idler wheel which you will need to check to ensure it has not hardened up.

It may be a good idea to check on stickies (or is the correct spelling sticky's) on this site for more info, but you will find lots of very good advice from many very qualified and helpful forum members.

A very good idea if you are new to servicing decks, is to take pics of the underside of the deck before you start removing parts, in order to avoid the dreaded "where did that part come from syndrome."

Hope this in some small way helps.

Cheers,
Ted.

Last edited by stumted2; 4th Mar 2018 at 10:07 pm.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 6:20 pm   #3
mikehobson
Retired Dormant Member

Hi thanks for quick reply.

A couple more questions I am needing help with. I can see how to remove the turntable, but can't find anything on YouTube which shows the removal of the whole deck from the chassis. Is this hard to do and how is it achieved. Also where could I get spares from, it is missing one of the white buttons at the side on the lid which it stands on.

Sorry to be a trouble.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 10:33 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Dissconnect from the mains. To get the deck out you will need to remove the 2 front screws each side and pull the whole front baffle board assembly (the speaker and amp are attached) and then put a hand inside and press the clip on the 2 transit screws to vertical and then lift the deck out. You may not be able to get a white side protector/foot, but black ones can be got from Maplins - that's if they are still trading.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 11:29 pm   #5
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
No worries, you are not a trouble.
There are two screws on the front panel of your player, unscrew and remove these, and carefully pull the front panel towards you, being carful not to damage any wiring, or the amp, or the speaker, which are mounted on the panel.

If you then reach inside the case, (its a bit of a squeeze especially to reach the back clip) you will find two clips on the underside of the two transit screws, that will need to be folded back into the vertical position, which will the allow you to lift out the deck, bearing in mind, having pulled the front panel forward, the feed wires for the motor etc. will not have much play in them, so be very carful when lifting the deck up. To help with that, fit the front panel back, but do not refit the screws back yet, or if you do, only fit them loosely.

A good idea before you start removing the deck, is to take pics of the wiring to the amp, as if find you yourself in the unhappy position of finding any wiring coming adrift, (which can very easily happen) you will have at least a fighting chance of finding where they were connected to.

When you say white button, do you mean the feet? you may find a kind forum member may have a few spares that they may be willing to let you have, and you will find the relevent section on this site for your request. Failing that, you could always try eBay.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ted.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 11:34 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The deck is presumably a BSR. THese ar held in place by two Transit Screws, one on the RH side under the pickup arm, and one near the rear of the RH side. With the deck 'floating' on it's springs, the two latches, one on the underside of each screw, can then be turned to the vertical position, allowing the complete deck to be lifted out as far as the lead lengths will allow. (This is assuming that an autochanger is fitted). As to spares availability, the best thing is to put a request in the 'sets, parts & servce information wanted' section (crossed with Ted)
Old 6th Mar 2018, 12:10 am   #7
mikehobson
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks to everyone for their help, it does seem more complicated than I at first thought but I will have a go and see how I get on. I will take it steady and photo everything as I go has as been suggested. Cheers Mike
Old 6th Mar 2018, 12:34 am   #8
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry Edward, I'm not the fastest typist in the world, (and very old now, which will I hope, explain my typing errors) and I must have been in the process of completing my last message when you posted yours

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Cheers,

Ted

Last edited by stumted2; 6th Mar 2018 at 12:43 am.
Old 8th Mar 2018, 6:05 pm   #9
mikehobson
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, a little bit of an update. Managed to service my Fidelity machine over the last couple of days. Getting the deck out was a little bit tricky, took off the amplifier panel after loosening the mains cable at the rear, undid the front post first, and then had just enough room to lift the deck at the front and get my hand under it to do the rear one, wondered if a long set of kitchen tongs might make things easier will try this if I ever do it again.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone for their superb help and advice. Thank you.
Closed Thread