UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2018, 10:27 am   #1
timothywilsons
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help with Garrard Zero 100 record player please

Hi,

Whilst in my elderly fathers loft the other night I got distracted from the task in hand when I discovered his old vinyl collection and a Garrard Zero 100 player. He told me it worked fine when he put it up in the loft...although when that was is a mystery!

I had no immediate joy so took the main unit out of the chassis (apologies in advance for dreadful lack of correct terminology). Power is there, I can hear a faint whirring from the "motor / speed control" unit and the light for the strobe is on. However trying to set things in motion using either manual or auto result in nothing happening - the platter (?) doesn't move. It moves by freehand.

One thing I have noticed is the speed selector knob is totally stuck, I think it would break before it moved! Underneath, the unit looks, to the untrained eye, to be fairly clean.

I would love to get this working for my father, but I don't really know where to start. Finances don't allow me to get this professionally done at this stage, so my plea is for some help - can anyone advise me where to start?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 12:38 pm   #2
leslie5555
Heptode

Default Re: Help with Garrard Zero 100 record player please

Dried up grease is usually the culprit, it will need a good clean and correct re lubricating.

Read all about it in the sticky threads.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 2:20 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

If you are going to have a go, take plenty of pictures and make copious notes. Do one section at a time.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 5th Mar 2018, 10:30 am   #4
GP49000
Hexode

Careful disassembly of parts that have stuck together with dried-out grease, and cleaning out that old grease and relubrication will be needed. It is very likely that a virtually complete stripdown of many parts from the chassis will be needed. Do not force anything..."the speed selector knob is totally stuck, I think it would break before it moved!" is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, and new replacement parts are no longer available since Garrard has been out of business for twenty-five years.

You can get a Garrard Zero 100 service manual from

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/...zero-100.shtml

(FREE REGISTRATION REQUIRED)

And as suggested...take lots of pictures so you can put it all back together.
Closed Thread