UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2018, 4:02 pm   #1
Delboy45
Retired Dormant Member

Default Alba 212 record player

I have an Alba 212r record player which has been in the loft for years. It has power and the valves light up. The turntable does turn when I switch it on. I have decreased everything but it still will not turn, but if I turn it manually it will go round.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 4:24 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Alba 212 record player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy45 View Post
I have an Alba 212r record player which has been in the loft for years. It has power and the valves light up. The turntable does turn when I switch it on. I have decreased everything but it still will not turn, but if I turn it manually it will go round.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Decreased or degreased?

What skills and test equipment do you have?

Does the motor turn when the deck is switched on?
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 4:28 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Remove the circlip round the base of the spindle, lift the turntable off, turn the control to "Manual", then check to see if the motor is going round.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 4:46 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Can you clarify, you say “the turntable does turn when you switch on” then you say “it doesn’t turn”.
Apart from that do you hear noise coming from the speaker, buzz or crackle, and if you turn volume control do you hear any noise.
Also gentle touch the stylus (needle) if you get some noise you may be lucky and have a working cartridge and amp.
Good luck but be very careful, you have got Mains voltage supplying the Unit.
Cheers
John
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 5:11 pm   #5
Delboy45
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry predictable text is a nuisance.
I have degreased everything but the turntable still doesn’t turn when switched on.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 5:30 pm   #6
Delboy45
Retired Dormant Member

i have decreased it again and the turntable is now turning. I have plenty of tools and used to fixing lots of things, used to be a motor mechanic many years ago. I have no noise from the needle when I touch it. Crackle from speaker . There are 3wires under the arm do you know which 2 go to the stylus.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 5:31 pm   #7
Delboy45
Retired Dormant Member

Great it is going round now that I have degreased it again but no music playing.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 8:06 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

If it has a crystal Cartridge, that will almost certainly have failed. AS to the three wires under the arm, one will be a common (negative) the other two should be signal leads, one of which connects to the + terminal on the mono cartridge, the other is a 'spare' for use if a stereo cartridge is fitted (I'm not familiar with the player in question, but that is the usual way record players are wired. If you lift ot the record deck, being careful not to strain any wires, those from the pickup should go to either a tagstrip or a pair of RCA(Phono) sockets. From there a screened lead should run to the internal amplifier via the volume & tone controls. This will be the (+) input lead, which should be connected to the cartridge. Pictures will help us to help you identify the connections. Service data for the 212 is available for £1.99 from the VRSD link at the top RH side of this section
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 8:08 pm   #9
Audio1950
Dekatron

There should be four wires in the arm. Assuming your cartridge, which is the thing that hold the stylus has only two connecting pins on the back, then two wires should be connected to those, and the other two wires are spare, and fitted as standard to all Monarch decks in case a stereo cartridge is fitted. Usually, the red and black wires are the two to connect, (doesn't matter which way round).Not knowing which colour wires the three are, try connecting all of them in turn, you can't do any harm, there's no voltage there. If you don't get any sound after trying all combinations, then the cartridge has probably packed up.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 8:26 pm   #10
John10b
Nonode

Just as a little extra tip, with unit switched on and volume control turned up, try touching the wires going to cartridge, you should get a decent buzz, this would indicate the Amp is working, up to a point.
Cheers
John
PS: There is a lot of information in this forum about record players which I’m sure you will find interesting.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 10:25 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Be aware this record player has a "live" chassis so unless you have experience of these, do not open up and probe around on the insides of the casing. If you get a healthy buzz from the leads as advised above, but nothing from the cartridge stylus then you will need to replace the original (if it still is) BSR TC8H high output (mono only) cartridge. If so, let us know because this will be expensive.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 1:41 pm   #12
Delboy45
Retired Dormant Member

I think you are right and it needs a new cartridge if they are still available to buy. I will have a look. UTC. Not sure if I want to spend a lot if it might not work. Thanks for your advice.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 5:40 pm   #13
Delboy45
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Be aware this record player has a "live" chassis so unless you have experience of these, do not open up and probe around on the insides of the casing. If you get a healthy buzz from the leads as advised above, but nothing from the cartridge stylus then you will need to replace the original (if it still is) BSR TC8H high output (mono only) cartridge. If so, let us know because this will be expensive.
Do you know where they sell the cartridges?
Old 4th Mar 2018, 6:37 pm   #14
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, you can buy a remanufatured cartridge from ebay for c. £45-50. This will be equivalent to a BSR TC8H. But do be aware it will be for Mono records only as it will cause damage to stereo LPs - as the one originally fitted would have done. You can buy a stereo cartridge instead, but this will ony give a low output through the type of amplifier fitted into yout Alba 212. Buying and doing up these old record players is never as simple as it seems.....
Old 4th Mar 2018, 7:41 pm   #15
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Cartridges are available from various suppliers such as Musonic, A-V-A online, etc. Details are listed in the 'sticky' thread at the top of this section. The Chinese Cartridges often mentioned on this site are sold by various eBay advertisers. There is now available a variation of those which has the 'flip-under' dual stylus, similar to those fitted to BSR SC11 & 12. I haven't fitted one of these myself, but they could well be a good replacement for the increasingly hard to find SC11, etc., at a very reasonable price.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 11:12 am   #16
awc
Retired Dormant Member

The trade prefers to call these flip-over rather than flip-under for some reason, so use this term if you search for them. I have used a few of these in my record player collection and they seem to work well and will track ok at 6 grams if need be. They fit into the same clip as the red-black cartridges and will take a BSR ST16 or ST17 stylus if getting an original replacement proves difficult.
Closed Thread