UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 6th Sep 2014, 11:03 am   #201
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: R4 Longwave sibilance again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqiva BOC View Post
The fix is to repair a fault on very elderly and extremely complex equipment.
A very difficult, time consuming and expensive task.
We all understand where you are coming from on this this. I think many of us would love to know more about the technical side. But back on topic I have been listening to R4 from Droitwich on a variety of receivers and it is sounding good at the moment.
Old 6th Sep 2014, 11:13 am   #202
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: R4 Longwave sibilance again.

It would indeed, Threeseven. I'm not a high-power transmitter expert but I've been involved with MW units up to about 500W, using both low-level and high-level modulation.
It's hard to think of a TX fault that would cause sibilance. Mal-tuning of the output/aerial ccts might do it I suppose, but I wouldn't regard this as a fault as such.
I wonder if the elderly equipment is part of the digital feed? It would be nice to know why the fault gets fixed but returns a few days later.
Old 9th Sep 2016, 10:04 pm   #203
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Sibilance on BBC Radio 4 long wave again?

Hi,

Without wanting to start this all over again, I just wondered is the dreaded sibilance back again on Radio 4 long wave or is it me?

Although not as bad as before, it was quite noticable at 7.00AM this morning or could that have been the atmospherics, just wondered what you good people are exspirencing right now.

Thanks, Paul.
Stylo N M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2016, 9:04 am   #204
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Sibilance on BBC Radio 4 long wave again?

Hi,

Yes. I tuned in to R4 Longwave for just a few minutes yesterday, about mid-day I think and I thought there was a bit of sibilance too. I haven't listed since though.

Aub

p.s the spell checker doesn't like sibilance
Old 12th Sep 2016, 5:46 pm   #205
stevehertz
Dekatron

As I reported about a year ago, I get a similar - though seemingly not exactly the same - effect on R4 FM. It's noticeable as a tearing of paper effect in the form of a 'halo of distortion' around the spoken voice. It's also a bit like the old expansion noise reduction effect as an increase in background noise simultaneous with the presence of a voice. I don't recall having heard it when the sound is quiet ie no voice being transmitted, and it's not present all the time; every five minutes or so you hear a few examples. As well as being audible on various sets in various locations around my house ie from different feeds of a disty amp, it is also noticeable on my car radio in the vicinity of my home. So in my opinion it has to either be some local transmission effect, or it is being broadcast that way from SC. The latter seems unlikely. It could be due to reflections from Rugeley power station. That has just been turned 'off' for good, but I'm told it will be some years before the cooling towers and boiler house are knocked down.
Old 12th Sep 2016, 7:15 pm   #206
paulsherwin

Yes, this will be either multipath reception or co-channel interference. It won't be related to the R4LW sibilance problem, which I think we've established is a recurrent fault in the distribution path. There doesn't seem any real will to resolve it permanently, presumably for financial reasons.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2016, 8:20 pm   #207
electrogram
Heptode

Just been listening to r4 LW. Sound quality is truly appalling. How they get away with this I don't know.
electrogram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2016, 11:11 pm   #208
linescan87
Heptode

I'm a regular radio 4 listener here in Dublin on long wave and can confirm the silibance problem here. Such a shame.
linescan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2016, 12:22 am   #209
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

The sound quality up until yesterday on R4 198 has been good but today it's bad. Sounds flat distorted with loads of sibilance. I think the Droitwich area has been hit by thunderstorms yesterday. I have reported the problem to the BBC which was a challenge in its self.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 8:49 am   #210
PaulR
Dekatron

I noticed it a little a few days ago but then it seemed ok again. It was certainly bad last night and again this morning. Since the last episode of this a few years ago the sound quality has been excellent.
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2016, 2:33 pm   #211
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I'm pretty close to Droitwich and 198 sounds poor today though not as bad as the episode a while back. By contrast RTE on 252 always sounds good - in fact it always sounds better.

We have an 'insider' on the forum who has helped out in the past so perhaps this thread will be picked up and the necessary levers given a tug once more.
Junk Box Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2016, 2:39 pm   #212
PaulR
Dekatron

How do you complain about the problem? I cannot find anywhere to do this
Old 14th Sep 2016, 3:00 pm   #213
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
How do you complain about the problem? I cannot find anywhere to do this
I would suggest 'Twitter', or other hi-churn social media. I say this because I was told yesterday that the best way of instigating a complaint now about the mobile telephone network operators is to do just that.

They (the mobile network operators) are so image-conscious they monitor social media constantly looking for key words, and evidently they act upon such comments!

It all seems very casual to me and I'm not comfortable with it, but casual is the name of the game nowadays. And if it works...

Give it a go and see what happens!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
russell_w_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2016, 4:15 pm   #214
PaulR
Dekatron

Ooo-er I don't do twitter!
Old 14th Sep 2016, 4:23 pm   #215
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Ooo-er I don't do twitter!
I don't either! Nor do many complainants, I should think. Unfortunately, the yoofs who hold the upper hand in the mobile telephone companies appear to think EVERYONE does 'Twitter' (which has the advantage of rapid promulgation over Facebook) and tend to forget about those who don't.

In which case I suggest a registered letter to the CEO of Arqiva (Google): think big. Common courtesy would dictate a reply. I did that with BT some years ago and my problem was resolved within the week. Shortly afterwards I received a follow-up call from their 'help' desk in Shrewsbury asking why I didn't go through them.

I registered my dis-satisfaction based on their previous inability to direct my complaint accordingly, and suspected their team had received a bo**ocking.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
russell_w_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2016, 4:39 pm   #216
broadgage
Nonode

I too have noticed the sibilance on radio 4.
My question is what is the likely CAUSE ? A defect in the actual high power transmitter equipment, or some distortion to the programme content long before it reaches the transmitter.
broadgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2016, 4:41 pm   #217
PaulR
Dekatron

I have found the way of contacting them on line here https://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/diagnostic/ I doubt they will take much notice but you never know
Old 15th Sep 2016, 4:48 pm   #218
PaulR
Dekatron

Is it better now?
Old 15th Sep 2016, 5:03 pm   #219
johnlees
Hexode

I have had the same sibilance on Radio 4 LW as well. I thought at first that the radio had gone off-tune but it wasn't that at all.

John.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 5:51 pm   #220
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
In which case I suggest a registered letter to the CEO of Arqiva (Google): think big.
Unfortunately I don't think this is an Arqiva problem. Arqiva own and run the transmitters, but they aren't responsible for the distribution network which is where the problem appears to lie. I don't know who is responsible for that - maybe BT or Siemens Broadcast - but whoever it is, listeners aren't their customer, the BBC is. It's the BBC's responsibility to complain to their subcontractors and get the problem fixed, preferably for good, but they don't seem very bothered about it. I suspect nobody can decide which budget should pay for it.

Problem resolution is always much more difficult where there are lots of contractual relationships as it's in the contractors' interests to deny responsibility. There are lots of cases of this across the public sector, for example where activities like IT have been farmed out to contractors.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote