UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2006, 10:15 pm   #21
jmshep

Default Re: Relay Wireless

When I was a boy (about 50 yrs ago) My father worked for "Radio Relay" a local company in Retford Notts. They also had a branch in Mansfield. I can recall the 4 way switches that were fitted on the window sill and the speakers with a volume control. The radios and amplifiers were housed in a rack in a room that was was not much bigger than a cupboard. As I recall the whole town was covered by cables on poles and I cannot remember any relay stations. The company diversified into television and was eventually bought out by Redifusion in 1960s. By that time the radio relay was about finished and was soon abandoned altogether.

Old 8th Mar 2006, 1:20 am   #22
Mick Mearman
Retired Dormant Member

In the course of my research into Relay Wireless I purchased some journals of the Society of Relay Engineers from around 1949 leading to relay TV. They're very interesting and start by explaining methods of distribution from the popular Audio System and carrier waves on the mains and telephone lines.
One prophet from 1949 says that in years to come he can see every home having one cable carrying all their needs, Radio, TV, Telephone and Telex! (well read internet here, he couldn't have forseen that could he?)
If anyone would like to read these please send me a PM they're PDF's I'm not allowed to publish them.
Mick
Old 10th Mar 2006, 8:48 am   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Mearman
If anyone would like to read these please send me a PM they're PDF's I'm not allowed to publish them.
Mick
Mick, you have a PM.
Old 10th Mar 2006, 3:17 pm   #24
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

And another PM from me!
Old 11th Mar 2006, 1:42 am   #25
Mick Mearman
Retired Dormant Member

I've sent the files to Dave and Brian.
But Brian, my messages to you have been sent back un-delivered, do you have an attachment limit? mine's 10mb
so I sent them in 2, if you do I'll send them one at a time send me a PM and we'll sort it out.
Mick
Old 11th Mar 2006, 11:52 am   #26
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
do you have an attachment limit? mine's 10mb
Mick
It would appear that my mailbox limit is also 10MB, so they just squeezed in!
Old 11th Mar 2006, 1:49 pm   #27
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello,
British Relay operated a radio relay system in the Wimbledon area. The cables were strung along the chimney stacks a bit like the old telephone swan necks. When I first worked in the trade the system was still being used by a dwindling number of customers. The output was similar to an alldry portable, providing just two stations if I remember correctly. When the system was closed down around 1964 the few remaining customers were given a small AC/DC Ferguson set free of charge. Many of the wires still exist and because of their similarity to telephone cables, remain untouched during building maintenance! If they crash down, BT are usually called out to 'put their wires back'. When I next visit my mates house in Merton I will take a pic for you. The twin wires are still attached to his stack!
Another odd radio 'relay' installation was the system used in a very large block of private mansion flats in Balham High Road known as DU CANE COURT.
These flats were built in 1937 and were provided with a flush fitting wall speaker with a two position switch. The switch provided the 'LIGHT' and 'HOME' stations at about 200 miliwatts so that neighbours were not troubled by excessive noise [They were a very snooty lot in those flats in those days] The amplifiers were housed in a relay room together with the two radio tuners. The flats caretakers showed me the installation at the time [around 1966] and it was still the original equipment. I think the number of flats was around the 200 mark. In pre war days there was a large restaurant to supply meals to the well heeled that could not be bothered to cook! Happy days. Regards John.
Old 12th Mar 2006, 2:15 pm   #28
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
I've sent the files to Dave and Brian.
But Brian, my messages to you have been sent back un-delivered, do you have an attachment limit? mine's 10mb
so I sent them in 2, if you do I'll send them one at a time send me a PM and we'll sort it out.
Mick
Hi Mick,

The first two files recieved this morning - and a fascinating read they look. I'll print them off and take them into work with me tomorrow as lunchtime reading!

Thanks,
Old 12th Mar 2006, 5:11 pm   #29
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman
The first two files recieved this morning - and a fascinating read they look. I'll print them off and take them into work with me tomorrow as lunchtime reading!

Thanks,
Yes, I've read the first two so far. I particularly enyoyed the first one. I don't have the depth of theorecial knowledge fully to appreciate the second one - but I enjoyed the bits I understood!

I look forward to reading the remainder when I have time. Maybe I'll stick them on the laptop and take it to bed with me.
Old 14th Mar 2006, 3:31 pm   #30
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Now that I've finished reading the articles, I must say that I found them absolutely fascinating - a thoroughly enjoyable and illuminating read ranging from phantom circuits (a sort of "buy two, get one free") through to "pay per view" television (using a slot meter).

It leaves me wondering whether the rest of the meetings of this august body were equally fascinating.
Old 14th Mar 2006, 7:15 pm   #31
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll
Now that I've finished reading the articles, I must say that I found them absolutely fascinating - a thoroughly enjoyable and illuminating read ranging from phantom circuits (a sort of "buy two, get one free") through to "pay per view" television (using a slot meter).

It leaves me wondering whether the rest of the meetings of this august body were equally fascinating.
I whole heartedly agree with the sentiments Dave.

A glimpse into an earlier age and just goes to show (as all of us here know) that there's not much that hasn't been thought of before!

I was interested that the street map in the first paper on relay TV was of the street in Kennington, where I lived when first married!

Regards,

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 14th Mar 2006 at 7:16 pm. Reason: Dodgy spelling.
Old 14th Mar 2006, 7:29 pm   #32
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort
Another odd radio 'relay' installation was the system used in a very large block of private mansion flats in Balham High Road known as DU CANE COURT.
Well OT but no doubt of interest to many of us who like art deco, there is a small website about these flats here: http://www.ducanecourt.com/ Apparently, there are 676 flats in the building Make sure you click the More History button to progress through it. Glad I don't have to paint all those Crittal windows, the handful on my house are bad enough!
Closed Thread