UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2020, 12:05 pm   #1
Doylemax
Diode

Default Bush SRG91 speakers

Hi all
I have a question regarding a Bush Stereogram SRG91. I found this radiogram in my grandma's garage full of cobwebs, sadly the radio, record player and the speakers on one side were all stripped. However the speakers on the other side still remained. Sadly the wooden frame was in extremely bad shape, but the single speaker set actually worked. Tested through using a 5V battery to see if they still work and I got vibrations from it, that means they work right? So my question is using the one set of speakers - one circular and one elliptical, how do I turn this into a standalone speaker system, am very much out of my depth so need as much help as possible.

Thanks again

Max

Last edited by AC/HL; 29th Jun 2020 at 4:07 pm. Reason: Thread split
Old 30th Jun 2020, 11:45 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SRG91 speakers

Well you could build these into a small enclosure with the small speaker on top of the round one. But what would you use the resultant single speaker cabinet for? It will have a 3 ohm impedence, which is OK for vintage equipment, but not such a good match to modern stuff.
Old 30th Jun 2020, 11:02 pm   #3
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Bush SRG91 speakers

The Bush radiogram used 2 loudspeakers of different design each side for a reason. The larger round speaker to handle "low notes" and the eliptical speaker had a special component connected between it and the bigger one called an electrolytic capacitor. Its purpose was to remove or filter out the "low notes" so that only high notes were reproduced by it.

In a modern or high end radiogram, the high notes would be reproduced by a specially designed loudspeaker called a tweeter. Having said that, the bush eliptical speaker will not have the same sensitivity (loudness) as the round one and possibly may have been designed specially for high notes otherwise known as its frequency response.

Should you use them together with the existing capacitor in a home made enclosure, the sound will not be as good as a modern bookshelf loudspeaker and of course it would be mono.

Should you build a cabinet for each to make a stereo system, the sensitivity or loudness of the different loudspeaker designs will make the stereo effect off centre. In addition, the reproduced sound will be strange as the speakers have a different frequency response as described earlier.

On the plus side, there may be a BVWS member who needs a replcement Bush SRG91 loudspeaker!

Chris
Closed Thread