UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2018, 3:23 pm   #1
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default Garrard 3000 Set Down and Auto Return Trouble

Hello all,

Last week I won a Hacker Gondolier GP42 at a local auction. I lugged the thing all the way home in the snow, which was fun.

It is fitted with a Garrard 3000 auto changer and a manual spindle. The tall changer spindle was not included. There was a blob of blue tack stuck to the end of the tone arm. A bad omen, perhaps?

A few niggles were ironed out by stripping and cleaning the auto trip mechanism and other parts of the turntable. The trip pawl is free and unlubricated.

Now I'm having the following problems:

1. The tone arm sets down too far in on the record. Adjusting the screw moves the tone arm either in or out but for some reason when the tone arm is adjusted to the right position it will not move to its rest without some force. This is because the screw is nearly adjusted all of the way in. I may have adjusted it too much so I will look into this further.

2. The auto return does not trigger at the end of record. I've tried increasing the stylus pressure to no avail.

Nothing looks to be excessively worn or broken. Some more degreasing and a better understanding of how this TT works will be necessary.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 8th Mar 2018, 4:49 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 3000 Set Down and Auto Return Trouble

I assume you have read the Stickys above which covers the many variations of this Garrard chassis quite extensively. You must not attempt to increase tracking weight to trip the auto-return (and do remove any Bluetak!). The tubular tone arm on the Gararrd 3000 will track very well at just 3.5 grams. The problem will lay elsewhere in the Linkage/s.
Old 8th Mar 2018, 11:36 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

Does he arm move very freely horizontally? I've found at times that the bearings stiffen up with dried out lubricant. You need to remove the arm and its wiring and the remove the bracket to which the arm is mounted on. clean it and relubricate it, then re-assemble.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 9th Mar 2018, 6:21 pm   #4
OldTechFan96
Octode

The tonearm did move somewhat freely. Your post prompted me to have another look at the horizontal section of the turntable.

When I removed the pivot screw I noticed that the tip was covered in old, sticky grease. The bearing on the upper casting assembly and pivot screw were cleaned. Now the tone arm sets down in the correct position.

The problem now is that once the tone arm lowers on the record the turntable switches from manual to off. The service manual I found suggests some possible remedies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G3000.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	158946  
Old 9th Mar 2018, 6:38 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Do you have the overarm set back over the spindle in its correct position and seated properly?
Old 9th Mar 2018, 10:34 pm   #6
OldTechFan96
Octode

I tried the above remedies in the service manual and it did not sort the problems with the turntable stopping after the tonearm starts on a record. The auto return still does not work.

I've discovered that when the over arm is turned to the left the tonearm lowers without the mechanism switching off. I'll investigate further.

When selecting auto and playing a record I do have overarm set back over the spindle. The overarm is seated properly.

Last edited by OldTechFan96; 9th Mar 2018 at 10:40 pm. Reason: Response to Ed
Old 9th Mar 2018, 11:35 pm   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

Follow this advice and it will cure the problem of the arm not rejecting at the end of the record.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=112708
Old 10th Mar 2018, 9:37 am   #8
GP49000
Hexode

For proper automatic shutoff, service the automatic trip as per the link suggeested by "Audio1950."

The Model 3000 was not designed to auto-start on a single record. If you select AUTO with the overarm raised and turned to the right, the arm will set down properly ONLY on a 12" record, and the unit will not shut off at the end of a record, but resume play from the beginning again. If you select AUTO with the overarm swung over the spindle and dropped down, the tonearm will not set down on the record and the entire unit will shut off. This behaviour is all WORKING AS DESIGNED.
Old 10th Mar 2018, 6:51 pm   #9
OldTechFan96
Octode

Thanks for letting me know that this behavior is to be expected GP49000. A valuable piece of information about how the Garrard 3000 should work.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
Closed Thread