UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2018, 3:55 pm   #1

Default Transformer in Arcam Alpha 5 cd player

Hi,

First post, and looking for advice please. I am trying to repair an Arcam Alpha 5 cd player tray (broken gear spindle). A replacement is currently winging its way from Hong Kong, but while diagnosing the problem I realised that some sort of viscous black sticky stuff has appeared and spread over the transformer.

I've attached before and after photos (close-up being the latter). The CD player still works okay, but does anyone know what might have caused this and whether it means further repairs?

Thanks is advance,

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180302_103056.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	158650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180303_165548.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	158651  

Old 5th Mar 2018, 4:12 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Transformer in Arcam Alpha 5 cd player

Is the transformer getting noticeably hot? Are there any strange smells?

My guess would be it's some sort of glue applied during assembly.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 4:22 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

It was a plastic self adhesive 'foot' that they put there to stop the top of the case touching the top of the transformer.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 6:51 pm   #4

Thanks both. I don't know if it's getting unusually hot, but it sounds like if I clean it up and keep an eye on it in use for a few hours it ought to be okay. Definitely no unusual smells.

Closed Thread