UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2020, 5:38 pm   #1
LyntonP
Hexode

Default HealthKit RF 1U signal generator.

I purchased this SG from a forum member some time ago, and have been very satisfied with its performance. It came with a full construction manual and a detailed article about its restoration, and performance.
I would of course like to own one of the more advanced examples with digital read out etc but finances won’t stretch to that at the moment.
However I did see on the forum an example of the same SG I have that had been fitted with a digital readout. I contacted the owner via the forum and he was able to provide details of where such a module could be sourced.
The module was not expensive but there was very little technical information on the website, I ordered a module and it duly arrived one week later.
Again I had to have some help from a forum member regarding connections etc since there was scant little information from the seller.
I duly carried out the connections including powering the unit from the SG’s valve heater circuit. This required a simple bridge rectifier circuit.
I didn’t want to mount the module within the Heathkit as this would destroy its originality so I opted to mount the module in a separate die cast box an run short cables to it.
All went well until the final test when the SG emitted a low hum and the display went dim. It seems I had introduced a short between the valve heater winding and the BNC connector which took the signal out to the module. I am advised that this can be overcome with some rewiring but for the time being I fitted a 9v battery to power the module.
I appears to work very well indeed and I can now correct the small inaccuracies that the analogue dial can give.
Great success for a small outlay, and the originality of the SG has been maintained.
Thanks to Jerry for all the help.

Lynton
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCE53EEB-3E73-4FC6-8409-3F91871F0527.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	213446   Click image for larger version

Name:	111F07BA-F650-48BD-AE88-618DD2B7FCE5.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	213447   Click image for larger version

Name:	7BF72A23-CF47-42A5-AE38-6AA1BAC7F6F0.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	213448   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC471243-C48D-46C6-8EED-64084B37236B.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	213449  
Old 15th Aug 2020, 10:19 am   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: HealthKit RF 1U signal generator.

Nice neat job Lynton. Glad it all worked out. Cheers, Jerry
Closed Thread