UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2014, 11:19 pm   #1
SurreyNick
Heptode

Default Recommended wire gauge for hook-up?

I shall be wiring up the components for my micro guitar amp and am considering using stranded hook-up wire because its additional flexibility should avoid stress breaks with all the shaking about when the amp is hanging from a belt loop.

I've only used solid core wire to date and was wondering if anyone could recommend a suitable wire gauge and type (Litz etc)? It's only got a 1/4 watt output and the whole thing (speaker, battery and all) is small enough to fit in a tobacco tin. Wire will need to be pretty thin and flexible, but easily soldered.

Thanks

Nick
Old 18th Dec 2014, 11:30 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Recommended wire gauge for hook-up?

I have never actually bought any hookup wire. For stranded stuff I use wire scavenged from old computer PSUs, which comes in several gauges and colours. For thin solid stuff I use wire from telephone extension cable, and for thick solid stuff I use wire from offcuts of ring main cable.
Old 18th Dec 2014, 11:43 pm   #3
fetteler
Octode

Snap!! So do I

Steve.
Old 18th Dec 2014, 11:44 pm   #4
SurreyNick
Heptode

Sounds very sensible, but surprisingly enough I don't have anything I can scavenge from!
Nick
Old 19th Dec 2014, 12:32 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

For "thin" hookup wire look for 7/0.2mm PVC insulated wire. It's good for an amp or so and is pretty flexible. If you come across old British stuff, then it's 7/0.0076in and in American parlance, 24AWG or 7/32.

How much do you need? I can round up a few metres for cost of postage if you can't scrounge any locally.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Dec 2014, 1:40 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Maplins have 10 Metres of 7/0.2 mm PVC, 1.4 amps at 1000v for £2.69

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-equ...FaHHtAodiXsA5g
Old 19th Dec 2014, 7:33 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, 7/0.2mm is ideal for low-current applications and is nice and flexible yet robust enough to strip easily too.
Old 19th Dec 2014, 8:14 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Go to a few amateur radio rallies and see what's available. I've got reels of useful stuff. I also strip multicore cable for useful coloured wires.

David
Old 19th Dec 2014, 8:29 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Note that "pulled" wires can vary tremendously in user-friendliness. Some seems to be designed for crimp/IDC termination, and has insulation that melts as soon as you try to tin the conductors, and conductors that don't take solder very well.
Old 20th Dec 2014, 1:12 am   #10
SurreyNick
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
For "thin" hookup wire look for 7/0.2mm PVC insulated wire. How much do you need? I can round up a few metres for cost of postage if you can't scrounge any locally.
Thank you Chris. I found some 7/0.2mm cheap on eBay so nabbed it rather than trouble you, but I'm grateful for your offer and your advice and that of others too

Nick
Closed Thread