UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2014, 11:50 am   #1
bileaflet_valve
Tetrode

Default Are these power supplies unworkable?

Help me get my head round this please, guys.

I attach two power supply circuits from pre-war published designs - both essentially the same as regards the HT arrangement.

But they appear to me to be unworkable, in that one end of the HT secondary is connected to the junction between two capacitors. I am familiar with the conventional way of doing things (full-wave either with bridge or with centre-tapped secondary, or half-wave with a single rectifier).

Am I right in thinking the arrangements as shown are unworkable? If so, what do you think was intended?

Les.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ps1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	101565   Click image for larger version

Name:	ps2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	101566  
Old 14th Dec 2014, 12:08 pm   #2
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: Are these power supplies unworkable?

Voltage doubling.
Old 14th Dec 2014, 12:21 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Kellys Eye is spot on it's a voltage doubling arrangement commonly used in the early 1930's by manufacturers that preffered copper oxide rectifiers rather than valve rectifiers such as McMichael and PYE to name just two.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 14th Dec 2014, 12:51 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

It's a recognised "standard" circuit, a straightforward way to think of its operation is to imagine positive-going half-cycles being passed by one diode into one of the capacitors and charging it, the other capacitor being charged by the other diode by negative-going half-cycles. As the circuit is connected across the capacitors in series, the output voltage is double that of a single diode/capacitor half-wave circuit. The regulation is poor, but it's a simple circuit and lives on where it's best suited- generally high-voltage, low-current applications like 'scope high-voltage supplies. Search "voltage doubler", "voltage multiplier" and "Cockroft-Walton multiplier" for explanation, waveforms and extensions/developments of the basic idea
Old 14th Dec 2014, 5:48 pm   #5
bileaflet_valve
Tetrode

Thank you, gents! No previous experience of voltage doublers, so I've learned something useful today!

Les.
Old 14th Dec 2014, 6:02 pm   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

All the earlier TeleQuipment scopes had voltage doubler HT circuits, most CTVs had the taller ladder version, the quintupler, but often referred to as a "Tripler" in generic speak for the CRT's final anode (EHT) voltage.
My first new CTV, a NordMende 2245 hybrid (F2 chassis) had a voltage doubler for the high voltage rail, BUT the second diode was in fact a thyristor, so contolled the HT rail at a chosen voltage. It was actually fed off an auto transformer winding of the main transformer, so, at 320v was rather less than a conventional doubler on the 220v mains of Germany
If you short circuit the output, you don't get the usual fire and destruction, they just sit there fairly quietly.
Les.
Old 15th Dec 2014, 10:09 am   #7
GMB
Dekatron

There is a huge advantage to using a doubler for generating your HT. Circuits of this form are intrinsically current limited!
Closed Thread