UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2018, 7:20 pm   #81
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Bach with sparks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewmaster View Post
The China one will have a spherical top load running between my others with their toroids. Look a bit like Brighton Pavilion !
That's a nice image, Albert!
Quote:
How's your new project coming on, Al? Is it making interesting sparks?
No change since last time - I haven't done any work on it whatsoever with other priorities / heavy responsibilities on me for quite a while.

Also for the time being, very limited capacity to find a work space that can be left in situ- I don't have that here. A lovely local co-creative venue called 'HackSpace' where I used to do machining and metalwork closed down as the lease expired and rents increased.

But I'm hoping to get started once autumn/ winter set in and - bearing in mind my physical limitations too -I will post if and when I'm satisfied that I've fulfilled the standards I originally set. Otherwise I'll keep quiet until I have.

It's quite a nice coincidence, as I think the forum can really only give space to one project of this rather extreme kind at a time! So no great hurry here
Old 1st Nov 2018, 5:40 pm   #82
Viewmaster
Hexode

I am still here, but recently had a small stroke which is a wake up call for me.
Not sure what caused it yet, still having various tests.

In the unlikely case that it was caused by RF energy from the teslas in my brain that caused it I am going to build a Faraday cage, RF grounded, to completely surround the 3 SSTCs before I start any experimenting again.
Old 1st Nov 2018, 6:02 pm   #83
Panrock
Nonode

Glad you're OK. It's most important to look after the smooth running of that prodigious brain of yours! Get well soon.

Steve
Old 1st Nov 2018, 9:42 pm   #84
Viewmaster
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Glad you're OK. It's most important to look after the smooth running of that prodigious brain of yours! Get well soon.

Steve
Thanks Steve for that, but knowing what you have achieved I consider that the 'p' word should be better used to describe your own cerebral function.

Of course, Potty, with the p, might better describe myself, methinks !
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 11:36 am   #85
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
I am still here, but recently had a small stroke which is a wake up call for me.
I’m sorry that happened to you , Albert. That must have been traumatic for you are you still being investigated. But it sounds like you were treated in the magic but short window of opportunity and are making a recovery.

Quote:
In the unlikely case that it was caused by RF energy ... that caused it I am going to build a Faraday cage, RF grounded, to completely surround the 3 SSTCs before I start any experimenting again.
That seems like a good plan from a safety viewpoint. RF from these things can pop up in nearby objects like consumers goods and it is then easy to get an RF burn. I imagine repeated RF burns might cause mischief , so your plan soinds very sensible.

Best of luck with your health and recovery , Albert.
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 1:16 pm   #86
Viewmaster
Hexode

Thanks Al for that. Stroke was all over quickly but automatic ban on driving after a stroke for 1 month was a blow.

The Faraday will have 1 inch square holes in it so OK
for my tesla's running at about 250 kHz

Will stop RF but allow one to see the sparks. Planning one big Faraday to screen all three.

Don't know what Bach will eventually think about being trapped inside a cage.

Last edited by Viewmaster; 2nd Nov 2018 at 1:21 pm.
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 2:31 pm   #87
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Yes, Albert, the driving ban sounds like a frustrating sitch. It will soon pass, though !
Your Faraday cage sounds good close to microwave frequencies!

You’ll still see plenty of action and if will limit damage to consumer equipment, help prevent some RCD trip-outs ( when caused by ground loops in consumer equipment) and crucially, keep fingers away from pulsing high-current circuits connected to low impedance mains. So all in all , a sound plan. And all the glory of Bach will still shine through!
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 5:49 pm   #88
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Sorry to hear of your stroke, glad your ok. "In the unlikely case that it was caused by RF energy from the teslas in my brain that caused it" - is this a possibility, if however unlikely?? Didn't know high energy RF could be dangerous, though thinking about it it's not too dissimilar to microwave energy.

Andy.
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 6:02 pm   #89
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
"In the unlikely case that it was caused by RF energy from the teslas in my brain that caused it" - is this a possibility, if however unlikely?? Didn't know high energy RF could be dangerous, though thinking about it it's not too dissimilar to microwave energy.
Hi Andy, microwaves from a microwave oven have a wavelength approx 12cm. They can't penetrate human cells as they are utterly gigantic in comparison, despite the 'micro' misnomer.

I am not saying they can't damage human tissue as they obviously can under very unnatural circumstances that would have to be set up deliberately.

The wavelength of Albert's coils is approx 1200 metres
= 1200 *100cm
=1.2E5 cm

So Albert's waves are 10,000 times longer than the wavelength of a domestic microwave oven.

They absolutely can't penetrate human cells. On the other hand, the very large charges that build up in things that surround a Tesla coil in operation can and easily do lead to RF burns. Typically, we'll see pretty brush corona bursting out of the corners of metal objects, including nearby white goods, etc.

I've had a burn from a nearby metal object even with just 20W RF out when tweaking a drive circuit --- and Albert's cooking with a few hundred watts of RF.

I'm not the big expert on RF burns, except that even a small one does noticeable damage to visible tissues like fingertips. I have no idea what they can do to the inside of the body. I'd suggest caution around anyone with cardiac tendencies including arrythmias, or allowing any RF to pass across the heart.

I'm very very skeptical of the 'safety' of demos which have a Tesla coil operator demonstrating the 'harmlessless' attributed to the 'skin effect' (literally, in this case, of human skin) while allowing a plasma discharge to a finger or hand with massive levels of power. Note, I am saying this is NOT safe. I have never done this and will never do it.

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 2nd Nov 2018 at 6:08 pm.
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 7:52 am   #90
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks Al, interesting stuff.

Andy.
Old 7th Nov 2018, 12:24 pm   #91
Viewmaster
Hexode

Here's a mock up of the trio inside a rough assembled Faraday cage without
any front to it yet.

In case of arcing from any tesla to the cage I am going to part line it with clear polycarbonate sheeting where any arc may occur

Only one tesla is working. Other is near finished and the baby one not yet final assembled.

Looking more like Brighton Pavilion by the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trio in Faraday.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	172395  
Old 8th Nov 2018, 10:52 am   #92
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Quote:
Not sure what caused it yet, still having various tests.

In the unlikely case that it was caused by RF energy from the teslas in my brain that caused it I am going to build a Faraday cage, RF grounded, to completely surround the 3 SSTCs before I start any experimenting again.
Oh Take it easy Albert ! may best go back to some safer NBTV work !
Old 9th Nov 2018, 8:44 am   #93
Viewmaster
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekmoore2007 View Post

Oh Take it easy Albert ! may best go back to some safer NBTV work !
Bin there, done that.

Having come so far I must go on ……with due caution.
I am engaged in various non spark projects as well, such as repairing a Sullivan's mirror galvanometer.

Might use it to measure the spark intensities.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 10:30 am   #94
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Didn't know high energy RF could be dangerous, though thinking about it it's not too dissimilar to microwave energy.
You need to ask auntie Google about ICNIRP.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 5:08 pm   #95
Viewmaster
Hexode

It's been on the back burner recently, or rather the back sparker.
Other fish to fry I'm afraid.

But working on it again in between times.
The music I am now getting has great distortion on some notes.
Maybe I am overloading an input, somewhere, somehow?
More anon.
Closed Thread