UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2023, 2:04 pm   #1
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Akai GXC 310D pinch roller arm removal

I’m intermittently working on an an early mid 70’s Akai dual capstan 2 head cassette deck which has spent too long sat in the loft. Having replaced most of the hardened idler tyres and the belts I need to move onto the pinch rollers which are cracked and hardened. What I’m not sure of and which isn’t clear in the service manual is the roller arms are hemmed in above and below by the head block plate. Is it the case that this needs to come off to remove the p roller arms and the head azimuth then re setting? Or am I missing something?
Any insight appreciated.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3738.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	278253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3739.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	278254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3740.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	278255  
Old 19th May 2023, 9:08 pm   #2
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Re: Akai GXC 310D pinch roller arm removal

To answer my own question the “parts list” which is separate to the service manual shows a good view of the head assembly and I eventually figured out there were 2 screws lurking under the head wiring. Once undone I could then lift the whole block out of the way to access the pinch roller arms. I managed to fit the replacement pinch rollers without too much trouble (my first ever crack at pinch roller replacement so scary stuff….the retaining rings are not suited to fat fingers!) at least they seem to be the correct size. However one step fwd and 2 steps back. The left hand pinch roller now isn’t making contact with the capstan (the right seems perfect) and for some reason I now can’t get the machine to engage play as it’s permanently engaging pause which is the bulb illuminated top right. Had enough for tonight! One surprising thing is the A/C motor on this deck is whisper quiet. It also stinks of fags….I’ve been using isopropyl on a rag as I go which is helping clean it off. The reason for doing this is the machine had very weak play and speed instability and some probs with ff and rw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3747.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	278484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3749.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	278485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3752.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	278486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3750.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	278487  
Old 20th May 2023, 9:26 pm   #3
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Re: Akai GXC 310D pinch roller arm removal

Thanks to Michael Maurice for sorting the pause which was a spring and the pinch roller which was a minor assembly error on my part. All sorted now.
Closed Thread