UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2022, 1:08 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Metal polish from eggshells.

I went to a re enactment market last weekend, most interesting, and a metalworker was using this method on a brass reproduction torc.

Collect eggshell. Remove the membrane from the inside. Grind in pestle,
This now will keep indefinitely in a jar.

To use, tip some out, dampen a rag with vinegar, rub in the eggshell, and apply.

Fresh eggs can be a right pain to peel! I read that adding a little vinegar and salt to the water when boiling helps in removing the shell.

I have not yet tried this as I am collecting shells, and will likely need some experience to know how finely to grind and what materials it is good for without scratching.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 1:18 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Metal polish from eggshells.

Not heard of eggshells, but a friend who has a collection of rather-expensive shotguns tells me that his armourer uses ground-down walnut or Brazil-shells for metal polishing, and has a dedicated 'coffee grinder' to do the grinding!
Old 17th Nov 2022, 2:43 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

All boiled eggs can be peeled easily if you keep back garden hen eggs at room temperature for as long as supermarkets do with there "fresh" eggs.
With nut shell polish some industrial outfits use ground up sweet corn cobs obtained as a byproduct from frozen/tinned corn people. I did a short stint in metal finishing after leaving education.
Sea shells were also used whole in vibrating tubs.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 3:04 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

I would need to know that the eggshell was very finely ground to avoid scratching. But as the OP eludes to, to use on 'what' regarding vintage radios? We have Greygate No. 5 that is perfect for Bakelite, various proprietary polishes for wooden cases, and something like Brasso or Solvol Autosol for metals? I think it's a case of horses for courses and I wouldn't doubt the use of ground eggshells for large scale brass polishing, but in vintage wireless I'm struggling to see where it would be better, more easily obtained and as 'perfect for the job', as off the shelf products. My can of Brasso and tube of Solvol Autosol have been with me for donkey's years; their investment cost now equating to little more than the square root of sod all. Just my personal view!
Old 17th Nov 2022, 3:11 pm   #5
paulsherwin

It does seem a bit pointless. I use my eggshells when planting out tomato plants.

There are plenty of mild cutting compounds which can be used to polish metal and remove tarnish - Brasso, T-Cut etc. A bottle lasts for years. Toothpaste also works if you're stuck.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 3:54 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I just use all the things that Steve does. Eggshells go in the bin!
Old 17th Nov 2022, 4:05 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
I went to a re enactment market last weekend, most interesting, and a metalworker was using this method on a brass reproduction torc.

Collect eggshell. Remove the membrane from the inside. Grind in pestle,
This now will keep indefinitely in a jar.

To use, tip some out, dampen a rag with vinegar, rub in the eggshell, and apply.

Fresh eggs can be a right pain to peel! I read that adding a little vinegar and salt to the water when boiling helps in removing the shell.
A recent Tik Tok craze is to peel the shell off a raw egg, separating the shell from the membrane, leaving the egg sac intact. I believe that some of the best exponents are, perhaps unsurprisingly, surgeons and dentists. (12 minutes by a Chinese neurosurgeon). The trick is to start at the wide end where there is an air sac, and the break into the shell there, then peel off small fragments at a time.

Must be a symptom of having not enough to do in life!

Walnut shells are widely used as a polishing medium in industry, and as a sandblasting medium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzofDk-O4ik

https://www.sandblasters.co.uk/walnu...6mm-1025-p.asp
Old 17th Nov 2022, 6:01 pm   #8
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Walnut shells in a rock tumbler work very well indeed.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 8:06 pm   #9
greenstar
Octode

Well, there are a number of reasons I find this interesting. Different abrasives have different properties, and I enjoy finding out for myself what they are. It interests me to know what was used before the excellent Brasso. But people were polishing metals back to the Bronze age. They were sticking things 100.000 years ago, and I am fascinated by effective adhesives made from bitumen, birch bark and beeswax, for example, even if not obviously useful in radio repair! I don't like to be dependent on any commercial product, and like to understand what materials can do. Wallnut shells sound interesting, and I will try that, thanks.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 9:10 pm   #10
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Wallnut shells sound interesting, and I will try that, thanks.

https://polishingexpert.com/rock/wal...ps-and-tricks/
Old 18th Nov 2022, 1:33 pm   #11
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
Well, there are a number of reasons I find this interesting. Different abrasives have different properties, and I enjoy finding out for myself what they are. It interests me to know what was used before the excellent Brasso. But people were polishing metals back to the Bronze age. They were sticking things 100.000 years ago, and I am fascinated by effective adhesives made from bitumen, birch bark and beeswax, for example, even if not obviously useful in radio repair! I don't like to be dependent on any commercial product, and like to understand what materials can do. Wallnut shells sound interesting, and I will try that, thanks.
Yep, I agree 100% with your take on this.

I have stashed your eggshell trick in my head for use when the time comes.

Steve.
Old 20th Nov 2022, 9:01 am   #12
greenstar
Octode

Off topic but on the subject of walnuts, a woodstain can be made from the green husks. They are very staining as they anyone peeling them discovers, but soaking/boiling them produces a strong black soup that will stain wood or anything else. Youtube videos on this too.This may be more useful for radios than the eggshell idea.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 8:32 pm   #13
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Brasso is not excellent. It contains ammonia and promotes stress cracking of brass.
On lamp tanks etc it is something to avoid.

Might try the egg shells sometime!
Old 21st Nov 2022, 9:33 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
Brasso is not excellent. It contains ammonia and promotes stress cracking of brass.
On lamp tanks etc it is something to avoid.

Might try the egg shells sometime!
From Wikipedia:

"Risks: Causes stress corrosion cracking of brass coated iron and hardened brass."

Most Brasso used in vintage wireless is to polish bakelite. Plus it has been used for polishing decorative objects and door furniture for decades. I've never seen or heard of examples of such items cracking as a result of its use on them.