UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2020, 9:25 am   #1
thegavnor

Default Morphy Richards vintage door chime

I am looking for a replacement solenoid piston for a Morphy Richards Clydon door chime. The transformer is working as it should but I'm getting nothing from the piston, which is clean and free of obstruction. Interested to know if anyone has any experience of same and if there is something of a similar spec on the market which would act as a replacement.
Old 7th Dec 2020, 10:00 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Morphy Richards vintage door chime

I assume the solenoid's coil is open circuit? Have you checked it for continuity? It may be a simple job to rewind it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Dec 2020, 12:09 pm   #3
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Unlikely to be the solenoid unless the bell push has jammed burning out the coil.
If it’s the same as my mums it’s got 2 sets of windings on the coil . One for back door and one for front giving a ding dong for the front and just a dong for the back . Andy
Old 7th Dec 2020, 12:11 pm   #4
Station X

The simpler ones are just spring loaded so they hit the second chime on the return stroke.

All the problems I've ever had with door bells have been down to bell push problems.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Dec 2020, 12:55 pm   #5
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
The simpler ones are just spring loaded so they hit the second chime on the return stroke.
We've had our Morphy Richards Clydon for about 50 years and as above it's just a simple 1 winding coil, there is a small sliding variable resistor on the input for transformer operation, if this is OK and all the connections are good then the coil looks like it must be open circuit.
I've fitted a small piezo sounder across the input of ours because if the bell push jams, and it did once, the power is full on silently for however long it is before the fault is noticed or it burns out, unlike a bell which will keep on ringing.

John

Last edited by John M0GLN; 7th Dec 2020 at 1:08 pm.
Closed Thread