UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2014, 2:40 pm   #21
G4YVM David
Heptode

Default Re: R1155 power and 10 amp jacks?

The 6v6 tests as open circuit on the heater.

As luck would have it, I have another 6v6 hiding in a scrap WS19 set which I'd forgotten about. That heater tests okay so Ive popped it in.

On thinking about it though, I could probably find the valves needed for my tx also inside the 19set!

And everything else...the 19 set itself will never work again anyway...but the valves might.

David
Old 9th Jun 2014, 3:57 pm   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: R1155 Power Supply

Try re-soldering the heater pins of the valve itself, it sometimes works.
Old 9th Jun 2014, 10:27 pm   #23
turretslug
Dekatron

It certainly did just the other day with a disappointingly cold 5Z4GT, the envelope wasn't even wobbly in the base. It's common to find just a tiny amount of solder at the end of the hollow pin making contact with the lead-out wire, it wouldn't surprise me if dry-jointing here was fairly common.

G4VYM David, how does the PSU chassis AC voltage look now that you've bumped the input up a bit, is the PSU metalwork earthed? Whilst the output negative side needs to be isolated from chassis in order that the R1155 bias voltages can be developed across the resistor between -ve supply and receiver chassis, the PSU chassis still ought to be connected to mains input earth for safety.

Re. variacs and valve rectifiers, it's considered that running rectifier filaments/heaters at somewhat lower than nominal voltage (ie. low cathode temperature) can be harmful for the cathode, especially if HT current is drawn.
Old 9th Jun 2014, 11:18 pm   #24
G4YVM David
Heptode

Thanks guys.

I have finished the variac treatment now and the PSU has come to life exactly as G3COY made it. The output (fed to a valve octal base) shows correct HT and LT Volts.

I need a plug to fit the octal (which I think DM Smalls in Salisbury sells...he certainly sells MANY valves!) and then attach the power to my 1155. I'm tantalisingly close to hearing my 1155! Assuming it works as promised of course! At the very least, Ive got a power supply.

The only Jones plug I have has no cover...I guess I can either fabricate a cover or buy a new plug...think I'll try fabrication!

David
Old 10th Jun 2014, 12:13 am   #25
Herald1360
Dekatron

Heatshrink on each pin and some tape round the lot will keep things safe until a more aesthetic solution is found

Even a bit of paxolin or fibreglass board on some pillars to stop casual contact would do.

Back in the days, mine just had wires soldered to the pins on the receiver
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Jun 2014, 12:58 pm   #26
G4YVM David
Heptode

Thanks Chris.

Next search is for the octal plug!! My hope in Smalls of Salisbury drew a blank, so it's off to ebay for me now!!

I think the items known as "Bulgin octal plugs" are what I want, is this correct?

David
Old 12th Jun 2014, 10:38 pm   #27
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

If you have a dead 6V6 don't you have a plug?
Old 13th Jun 2014, 7:18 am   #28
G4YVM David
Heptode

Trevor...

ah ha! Yes indeed. Lateral thinking!

I fact a friend has offered one and as I haven't been in the workshop much I the last few days I hadn't considered the problem much. But you are right. Been staring me in the face! !

David
Old 16th Jun 2014, 7:14 am   #29
G4YVM David
Heptode

Well I've hooked up my psu but the LT which is present within the unit isn't making it into the rx. No, not bad wiring.

I've fixed up a friend s psu and that's not putting LT out either.
I wondering whether there's a "trick" to the LT. I assume that the LT is going to show on a digital volt meter across the terminals and the "above ground" thing won't be fooling me.

It seems strange that both LT are down. Either way, there is some life in the rx but no heaters are glowing so nothing yet to get excited over

d
Old 16th Jun 2014, 4:19 pm   #30
G4YVM David
Heptode

PSU working again.

Receiver NOT
Old 17th Jun 2014, 8:58 pm   #31
Keith
Heptode

If on P1 (exteme right connector) you've got 6V connected to pin 3 w.r.t pin 4 (aka chassis) the heaters should light up. If not, either all the heaters are blown (unlikely) or you've got a dodgy connection somewhere.
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 8:02 pm   #32
James Duncan
Pentode

Dont forget that the R1155 chassis is NOT DC neg the volts between DC neg and chassis is the bias.check your circuit drawings.

cheers
MM0HDW
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 8:28 pm   #33
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

See my post number 11.

Andy
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 8:45 pm   #34
Keith
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Duncan View Post
Dont forget that the R1155 chassis is NOT DC neg the volts between DC neg and chassis is the bias.check your circuit drawings.
True for the HT but not for LT. David's last post indicated that the heaters were not glowing. I wonder if he has the LT return going to the same pin as the HT negative rather than to pin 4 (chassis).
Old 24th Jun 2014, 2:09 pm   #35
G4YVM David
Heptode

Dunno yet...things taken a back seat for a variety of reasons including building a k2.

Have been to play with a friends 1155 / 1154 sets though.

D
Closed Thread