UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2018, 4:20 pm   #1
pletevl
Triode

Default Amstrad tower system TS90

Hi all,

I'm in the process of replacing all the capacitors in my Amstrad TS90 to try and get the thing going again. Some of the capacitors are stuck down with glue. Can anyone explain why, and if I should glue the new ones down?

Thanks.

Pete.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 5:59 pm   #2
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Amstrad tower system TS90

The seas in La Manche can get very rough. Just treat the device with TLC (tender loving care).

The advice given here over and over again is to replace components only if they are faulty.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 6:09 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Larger radial capacitors are some of the top-heaviest components on a PCB but are usually only secured in place by two solder joints: Solder is a very soft metal. It was therefore not unusual for them to be glued to the PCB as well as soldered, to make sure they stayed in place during initial transit from the factory to the end user, and if the unit got moved around a lot afterwards.

If you don't plan on moving your unit or transporting it from place to place every few days, don't glue them down.

I also agree with Trevor that if you are not aware of a problem potentially being caused by bad capacitors then you should probably just leave them alone. If there is clear evidence that some capacitors have gone bad then by all means replace them.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 7:01 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Repeated stress and flexing of a solder joint will eventually cause the solder to go crystalline (small crystals) and become what's called a 'dry joint' before it eventually fails.

So larger electrolytic capacitors were sometimes anchored with a squirt of glue, sometimes a sort of air-glue foam.

Some production processes had trouble with components floating away from the board when wave soldered, or getting shaken out in transport between the component fitting area and the wave soldering machine. These people sat components on a dot of glue to hold them just for their manufacturing process.

Some Japanese manufacturers of amateur radio equipment would flood oscillator circuit areas with a rubbery adhesive to damp microphonic pick-up of vibrations. Unfortunately, years later we discovered that their chosen adhesive corroded and destroyed the trimmer capacitors. The adhesive had to be dug out with tweezers, and the trimmer capacitors replaced. It was a tedious job.

David
Old 26th Nov 2018, 8:33 pm   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

Glueing the components in place may also have prevented them from falling out whilst handling and prior to soldering.
Mike
Old 27th Nov 2018, 11:02 am   #6
pletevl
Triode

Thanks everyone for the answers.

I decided to change the caps seeing as they are all 40 years old.

The unit has a problem somewhere that is making the volts drop. It seems to have a dual power supply and one of them is low.
Old 27th Nov 2018, 3:59 pm   #7
Richard_FM
Nonode

Wax was another substance used to secure components, favoured by factories in Hong Kong.
Old 27th Nov 2018, 5:12 pm   #8
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
I decided to change the caps seeing as they are all 40 years old.
As is the rest of it, what's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
The unit has a problem somewhere that is making the volts drop. It seems to have a dual power supply and one of them is low.
I think you may be on a fool's errand there. I'd start by looking at things like the power output IC, a far more likely cause of problems like this. Is anything getting hot? If the power supply rails are being dragged down I'd guess something must be.

If you know the supply voltage is low you must have a diagram and a meter, so use these to see if there is an excess current draw. Then find it by isolating the suspects one by one. Remember it can't be anything which is fed by a resistor of any real value, which rules out most of the capacitors you are changing...
Old 27th Nov 2018, 10:14 pm   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Pletevl, did you get your diagram from an online source? If so, please provide a link to it and we will be able to be more helpful.

As has been observed, you do have a meter. Do you also have access to a scope?
Old 28th Nov 2018, 10:19 am   #10
pletevl
Triode

Hi all, I have searched everywhere for a service manual or diagram and can't find one anywhere so I am working blind.

I do have a multimeter yes and I also have a PEAK ATLAS ESR70 capacitor tester which is showing me that some caps and leaky or open circuit, that is why I have decided to change them STUDIO263.

Pete.
Closed Thread