UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2018, 9:43 pm   #1
Groovy1
Triode

Default Sony HP-511A (TTS-401) Shut-off slide problem

I have recently bought this lovely old stereo system for restoration (for parts/not working). After a little bit of work I now have it fully working except that the auto-return does not trigger at the end of a record - but it works fine if triggered manually by moving the operating lever to the "Rej" position.

With the turntable removed, I've noticed what happens as the shut-off slide moves towards the return pawl and the problem seems to be that it simply slides over the pawl - there is nothing at the end of the slide that could engage with the small round pin on the return pawl. Looking at the design of the end of the return slide, it looks as though something could be missing and I am hoping that someone here is familiar with this system's turntable and can verify whether the shut-off slide looks as it should. I have attached a couple of photos: The first shows the slide as it is about to go over the return pawl. The second shows the return slide partially removed from the turntable to show its underside. Is that how it should look?

Thank you for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto Return 1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	173118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto return 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	173119  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 4:59 pm   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Sony HP-511A (TTS-401) Shut-off slide problem

Hello, welcome to the forum.

I've just been for a look at mine (sorry, can't put up any pictures at the moment) and the bit on your slide that is bent back on itself at the end doesn't look right. On mine it's straight and flat. It doesn't seem to catch on the pin, from what I can gather the end of the slide has an angle on it and contact with the pin should push the pin sideways if that makes any sense.

I hope you get it sorted, these sound great when they're on form although really they deserve better speakers than the ones that go with them.

Regards,
Paul
Old 20th Nov 2018, 11:14 pm   #3
Groovy1
Triode

Thank you, That confirms my suspicions. If you could post a photo to show what it should be like I can hopefully fix it. I have the service manuals but the diagrams of this part are not at all realistic The sound, even with original speakers is remarkably good. I'd just like to get the mechanism 100% working.
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 6:40 pm   #4
Groovy1
Triode

Here is another picture showing the right hand side that is "bent around on itself". Paul (or anyone else reading this) - could it be that this has been bent round? Should the curved part meet the pin on the return pawl? I want to be sure before I start trying to bend this irreplaceable part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Autoreturn 3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	173252  
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 10:43 pm   #5
teetoon
Heptode

Hi Groovy 1, looking at online images, your stereo seems to use the same turntable as the model 5520 which I have amongst my many tt's.
So I cleared all the stuff off the lid and took these pics for you.

The sliding trip lever should be lying flat and the curved end should be under the deck plate with the curved end toward the trip. Not to the side as in yours.

EDIT: Looking at your last pic again, I can see that the end has indeed been bent round as you suspected. If you can carefully straighten it back so it looks like the one in mine (pic 2) it should sort it.

Hope this helps. David.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	173261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	173262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	173263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1357.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	173264  

Last edited by teetoon; 22nd Nov 2018 at 10:56 pm. Reason: more info.
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 11:02 pm   #6
Groovy1
Triode

Smile Re: Sony HP-511A (TTS-401) Shut-off slide problem

Thank you very much David, your deck is indeed very similar and your photos show exactly what the problem is with mine How it got into this horrible state I'll never know but hopefully with some care I can straighten this out now.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 10:17 pm   #7
Groovy1
Triode

Thank you very, much much teetoon! I have now successfully bent the end of the return slide straight to match your photos (surprisingly easy, see attached photo with slide out of the groove and paper behind for clarity). As you would expect, the return position was completely messed up but after some painstaking adjustment it now works perfectly, automatically returning only when accelerating towards the centre in the run-off groove.

I'm really pleased and the whole system is now fully functional with new bulbs, fuses, belt, stylus. Just tried a few 70s classics (albums and singles) and sounds really good. Couldn't have done it without the help of this forum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	autoreturn fixed.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	173298  
Old 24th Nov 2018, 12:00 am   #8
teetoon
Heptode

Hey, really pleased to hear that, well done.
Yes Sony did make some really good stuff back then. It's a credit to them that their players still sound good so many years on.
Hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment, and thanks for coming back to let us know the outcome.

Cheers. David.
Closed Thread