UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2018, 6:09 pm   #1
clksteve
Retired Dormant Member

Default Unequal speaker vibration

At high volume anything placed on top of the left speaker (ie glass ashtray) will vibrate off and fall to floor. The same item placed on the right speaker will not move.
ItÂ’s not a problem ( I donÂ’t need an ashtray on top of the speaker! I donÂ’t smoke!) and I canÂ’t hear a difference in sound quality or volume left or right but was intrigued as to why this was happening. Assuming faulty speaker, amplifier or cables
I swapped the speakers over left for right. Still the ashtray only moves on the left speaker!
So I swapped the cables over left for right at the speaker end so the left channel played out of the right speaker (vice versa) and still only left speaker vibrates the ashtray off!
Tuner/phono/ aux all same issue.
Speakers on stands on concrete flloor and carpet.
Equal proximity to walls.

GoodmanÂ’s achromat 400 speakers
Pioneer SA 8500
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 7:09 pm   #2
clksteve
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Unequal speaker vibration

Ok, it seems I underestimated the importance of speaker positioning relative to other items in the room. Moving the sofa further away from the left speaker made a huge difference to vibration. Lesson learned.
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 8:57 pm   #3
Trevor
Octode

standing waves that's what it is standing waves
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 9:55 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Has to be!

You've tried swapping over the L and R channels, so it isn't a case of listening to asymmetric music...

David