UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2012, 4:48 pm   #1
mkmagna
Retired Dormant Member

Default 706L PX 63/2 MOD information

Hi,

This is my first post as I've just got into 700 series phones.

I've just bought a 1963 706L (yet to receive it) that appears to be in an unusual colour and was wondering whether the "MOD" at the end of the reference suggests it's an MOD special order? The phone is best described as RAF blue and from the photo appears much lighter than what I believe Concorde Blue would be (I also have a Concorde Blue phone on the way so will be able to compare).

The "706L" on the underside appears to be a sticker next to the "PX 63/2 MOD" that is stencilled on the base so I'm guessing the sticker may cover some more information. The finger dial is clear perspex which I guess isn't standard for a 1963 phone, but does have the alpha numeric disc still on the outside of the dial as the "L" suggests it should.

The previous owner has had this phone in storage for about 40 years and doesn't know where it came from originally.

Any help or thoughts will be much appreciated.
Old 5th Mar 2012, 6:09 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: 706L PX 63/2 MOD information

Hi, The PX is the manufacturer marking of Phoenix Telephones, Hendon, London but I cannot seem to find out what the MOD legend relates to - it may be a special order for the MOD, as you suggest, or, alternatively an indication that the phone has been modified in some way, perhaps has a dial which produces a non - standard pulse make/break ratio or a bell motor with a high impedance.

Regarding the colour, I have seen a few Concorde Blue phones "fade" in to a murky greenish shade but from what you say yours seems to be lighter than the standard issue colour, a picture might help here.

I might have a rummage through my phones and see if I can find one with the MOD stamp on the underside and report back.

Regards

Andrew
Old 5th Mar 2012, 7:19 pm   #3
mkmagna
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Andrew. As soon as it arrives I'll take some photos and post. Obviously once it arrives I'll be able to see if the inside of the case is a similar colour or whether it has in fact faded.

Hopefully it will be with me tomorrow.
Old 6th Mar 2012, 1:19 pm   #4
mkmagna
Retired Dormant Member

The phone arrived this morning and it appears the photo I've seen made it look much lighter than it was - it appears to be Concorde Blue. I'd still like to know what the MOD suffix means if anyone can help.
Old 6th Mar 2012, 2:06 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Is there a dial disc label in the centre of the dial? If so, does it say something like dial 2 -222 for emergency? If so, it might be from a Ministry of Defence telephone network.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 6th Mar 2012, 2:51 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

If ex MoD there might be an inventory number printed on it somewhere. Some MoD telephones also had that 'Press to talk' button on the handset, but I think the OP would already have mentioned this if that feature was present.
Old 6th Mar 2012, 6:19 pm   #7
mkmagna
Retired Dormant Member

As I suspected the "706L" sticker may provide some hidden information I removed it and as part of the original stencil it says 706CB, so was originally produced without a dial. At some stage it has obviously made it's way back to the GPO and been refurbished and a dial added - hence the non contemporary finger dial. I guess at refurbishment any sign of the original subscriber has been removed. It has a standard handset. I can also advise it is a Mk2 with metal chassis.

A big disappointment is that the casing is split so in a way I'm glad it's a standard colour.
Old 6th Mar 2012, 6:31 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The cases on these, providing it's only hairline cracks, respond well to solvent cement. You need to exercise extreme care though, or you'll be left with an ugly mess of melted plastic along the crack which is a nightmare to invisibly remove.
Old 6th Mar 2012, 6:52 pm   #9
mkmagna
Retired Dormant Member

Unfortunately it's a rather significant split with discolouration so probably had an impact in the post. Obviously I'd have little to lose in trying a repair and making it usable until a better case comes along. A lot depends on what the seller is prepared to do in terms of compensation before I decide what to do with it.
Old 6th Mar 2012, 7:10 pm   #10
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmagna View Post
As I suspected the "706L" sticker may provide some hidden information I removed it and as part of the original stencil it says 706CB, so was originally produced without a dial. At some stage it has obviously made it's way back to the GPO and been refurbished and a dial added
If the MOD legend is on the label, and not the base of the telephone itself , this may indicate nothing other than that the telephone has been "modded" at the GPO/BT factory, from what you say this is certainly the case as if the original was a non - dial 'CB' version a dial with a clear finger plate would have been fitted as part of the "wiping up" process.

Regarding your cracked case, I may have a spare one kicking around but it certainly wont be blue in colour, just PM me if you want me to check.

Regards
Andrew
Old 6th Mar 2012, 7:52 pm   #11
mkmagna
Retired Dormant Member

No Andrew, MOD is part of the original stencil. "706L" was the only thing on a small black label stuck over the original "706CB" part of the stencil.

I'd certainly be interested in a spare case if you have one.... if it's a nice contrast to the blue it would look quite good
Closed Thread