UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2018, 12:13 pm   #1
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default A query: Murphy A46 of 1938.

Mornin' all
Background:
I have had one of these for a while now. It was in original unmolested condition and responded well to refurbishment, electrical and cabinet.

Recently, someone 'dangled' another one under my nose for very modest shekels - in a working state - how could I resist.
It has had *some* work done in the past which included a piece of someone's curtain as a speaker cloth, the mains lead and other crumbling wiring replaced with old tat cable, the UU4 replaced with a U14 and a 32uF strapped in as a reservoir cap (the original Hunts 3 section in a cardboard box remains in situ).
It's remarkable that it works, there is little or no hum and it's quite lively on MW, but i digress...

This is the query:
My original receiver is fitted with an extension speaker socket in the top middle of the cabinet - the back cover is cut to accommodate it and bears appropriate legend.
My acquisition does not and has a plain back cover.

I have a copy of the original Murphy service instructions for the A46 which does NOT show an extension speaker socket.
The receiver WITH the socket bears a later serial number, so I must assume it was an in production upgrade.
I wondered if anyone else had experienced this?
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 12:51 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: A query: Murphy A46 of 1938.

I had an A46 a few years ago and it definitely had the Ext Spkr socket rear top. I do not record Ser Nos but mine was probably late-ish because it had the UU6 rectifier. The images at the Radio Museum show the socket with the back removed but no hole when the back is fitted https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/murphy_a46_a_46.html .Looks like a replica back. You are probably right - a mod done at some point but not all the service instructions might have been updated.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 2:58 pm   #3
stitch1
Heptode

My A46 has the speaker ext socket and the serial number is 44953. The one on RMorg shoes 2 different radios from the rear one with the sockets and one without. The one with has the transformer at the top of the speaker (same as mine) the other is at the bottom.

John
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 6:26 pm   #4
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Interesting John.
Your serial number is later than my two (32011 no socket, 37726 with).
The LS loom in the lower RM example is obviously refurbished, I wonder if the LS was refitted upside down? The retaining / restraining strap is an addition too.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 6:30 pm   #5
Nanozeugma
Heptode

cathoderay57:
Regarding the back, I have seen them like this before (originals), the cardboard stops short of the cabinet top by a margin for no obvious reason...
Old 25th Oct 2018, 7:40 pm   #6
MurphyNut
Heptode

Just checked my A46 and it doesn't have an extension speaker socket.
I wonder if it was added to later sets in the production run. Unusually for Murphy this set does have a rather small speaker and maybe it gave the owner the option to run the sound out to a larger speaker.......Just a thought.