UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2012, 3:25 pm   #1
georgeeasten
Retired Dormant Member

Default A few radios which need attention

Hi All,

It has been a while since I last posted. I have come across some radios of various sizes and ages all of which need attention and wanted to run a few pictures past you to see what you think.

These radios are currently in the shed of a house I have just moved into and the landlady has given me permission to restore one or all of them.

Which do you think would be the best one to get going? I like the second (the VHF) but also appreciate the portable Hacker.

Anyone have any experience of these radios and whether they are fixable within reason. I can solder and have reasonable electronics experience but I have never touched a radio before.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0217.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	67275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0218.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	67276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0219.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	67277  

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 4th Jun 2012 at 3:38 pm. Reason: Remotely hosted images converted to thumbnails.
Old 4th Jun 2012, 3:33 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: A few radios which need attention

First of all, all three of those are easily restored. The third one, the Ferranti, is probably the best to start on.

First - Read and learn. Don't go in without...

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html

Don't be put off, it's really easy once you get into it.

The service sheets for all these sets are available up top. I think I know the model numbers, but check them and look up top. The costs are £1.99 each and they are very good value. There's a panel up top there marked 'Vintage Radio Service Data'. Click on it and you should see how it works.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 4th Jun 2012, 4:10 pm   #3
jay_oldstuff
Octode

That Ferranti would make a good simple restoration to get you going. You have quite a choice to be playing with there.

Jay
Old 4th Jun 2012, 4:33 pm   #4
georgeeasten
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to you both for your quick replies.

I did have my heart set on the VHF but if you both think the ferranti would be best then I suppose i will go with that.

Do either of you know which are trasistor and which are valve just from looking at the photographs?
Old 4th Jun 2012, 4:41 pm   #5
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

The Hacker is transistor, the rest valve. Of course I stand to be corrected, there were a small number of transistor sets in wooden cases.

Rob
Old 4th Jun 2012, 4:45 pm   #6
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Yes the Hacker is transistor, the rest valve. However that Ferranti; although most likely valve fFrranti did produce one model in that style case that was transistor.

Jay
Old 4th Jun 2012, 4:47 pm   #7
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

I can't see the Hacker clearly but it is a MW/LW set and the transistors in the RF side will probably be AF117s. Search the forum for threads relating to these but I would try cutting the screen leads first to see if the set is dead or not.
Regards,
Rob
Old 5th Jun 2012, 2:48 am   #8
lastx33
Retired Dormant Member

The Hacker is a Mini Herald, an AM set with MW and LW. These have the AF117 transistors so they would probably need replaced though this shouldn't be a problem. A good place for advice and technical info on Hacker radios is the Hacker Radio Group on Yahoo groups. The nice thing about Hackers is that they were well designed for simplicity of servicing.
Old 5th Jun 2012, 10:39 am   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The middle Radio(a Bush VHF90A) is reasonably easy to work on, once out of the cabinet.
Be careful when pulling off the tuning dial, since the center(boss?)can easily fracture.
Once out 'in the open' it's usually a case of replacing the 'usual suspects' - i.e. capacitors and any out-of tolerance resistors. The SenterCel metal rectifier in these can be replaced with a 1n4007 and a series resistor. More info. can be found by typing 'Bush VHF90A' into the search box at the top of the page.
Old 5th Jun 2012, 11:31 am   #10
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I would do the Stella ST160A AM/FM radio sitting in the left hand bottom corner. These are 1960s Philips sets and are full of Mullard capacitors which last exceptionally well so shouldn't need replacing. Just change any large black capacitor on the output transformer, check the audio coupling capacitor, clean all switches and valve pins/sockets with switch cleaner and this set may well work with not a lot more effort.

Howard
Closed Thread