UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2019, 3:33 pm   #1
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Default AKG P8ES cartridge

Hi, hope this post is in the right forum . . . Does anyone know know when the AKG P8ES cartridge came out? 1977 Maybe? I ask because I like to collect old magazines (Hi fi News etc) with reviews and adverts for the vintage gear that I collect. I placed this here because it's the information I am interested in, but if it still needs to go in the wanted section, I apologize in advance to the moderators.
Thanks from Bill.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 11:04 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: AKG P8ES cartridge

'77 is about right - the P8ES appeared in a recommended systems feature in Hi Fi News and had a formal review as well, if memory serves.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 11:29 pm   #3
Bufo Bill
Heptode

That's great info, thanks Ted. And great memory too, may I add!
Many thanks from Bill.
Old 13th Dec 2019, 8:50 pm   #4
Trevor
Octode

I used to retail these at about this time and into the early 80,s Very nice pickups a welcome change from the Shure and Goldring units of the time
Output was a little on the low side but very smooth from memory the stylus suspension was prone to collapse though
Trev
Old 13th Dec 2019, 10:38 pm   #5
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Trevor, I have one of these on my 3009 Series II Improved arm, and the sound is glorious. I previously had a modern Shure M97xe, and the sound quality between the two is like night and day. The AKG was £30 cheaper too!
Regards from Bill.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 1:14 pm   #6
Trevor
Octode

I have to agree with you re the sound very smooth but as I say I must have sold 100 Shure M75 ed for every AKG
I can remember making a no of battery powered pre amps with a gain of 5 for use with the AKG as the output compared with the Shure was low Best sound I ever listened to of the AKG with a Phillips valve but transformeless amplifier into a pair of 800 ohm speakers
very rare
Trev
Old 14th Dec 2019, 6:33 pm   #7
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Oddly, my M97XE was rated at 4mV, while my P8ES was rated at 3.75mV, but I used the former at no.6 on my Quad volume pot while I get a better sound at no.5 volume for my AKG in exactly the same set up. Perhaps my M97Xe has a fault. Edit: perhaps I am being deceived by the extra bass Hz? Very odd indeed.
Regards from Bill.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 7:57 pm   #8
Trevor
Octode

The only time I used the X5 pre was when it was used with older valve stuff leak point one etc hence the gain was required I doubt that you have a problem with your M97Xe
Sure had a very unusual method of upgrading their pickups the flag ship models were downgraded as and when a new top of the range was introduced believe it or not their was a time when the M3D was the top of the range !
I cannot believe how much money I have thrown away if i had saved all the cartidges I binned I would now be a wealthy man I used to sell 50- 100 a week
Trev
Old 14th Dec 2019, 8:13 pm   #9
Bufo Bill
Heptode

I didn't realise about the downgrading, thanks for clearing that up. You're not that far from me Trev.If you're around my way and in need of a cuppa, give me a shout won't you?
Regards from Bill
Closed Thread