UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:29 am   #1
sburch316
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Viva - Stereo or Mono?

Hello my first post to forum. Am considering my first purchase of a vintage Dansette Viva. Being a total novice I dont know much ! It looks to be in good condition and have been informed it works fine and plays well. However one key question which I'd like to verify is whether it will play stereo records (I understand you can damage stereo recs on a mono player). I have included a link to some images including the stylus which is labelled ST16 78 and which I believe means 78's only.

https://********/s/aHsmJXXVTT

As I say a novice so welcome any advice !

Stuart
Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:49 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Dansette Viva - Stereo or Mono?

The ST16 is a 'flipover stylus with two tips. As shown in the photo it should be set to play LPs & 45s. On the top side of the lever should be 'ST16 LP' or similar. To play 78s the stylus lever has to be flipped over revealing the other tip, which will be larger in diameter than that on the 'LP' side The cartridge fitted is a type which can safely play stereo & mono records, though the output will of course only be mono in all cases.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 6:07 pm   #3
sburch316
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for reply. Puts my mind at rest a bit. Don't suppose you have any idea if the cartridge is the original and if so what the model number is?
Old 12th Dec 2019, 8:06 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I doubt if that is the original Cartridge, which would probably have been a BSR TC8 Crystal type. I'm not certain what model the cartridge fitted is, but a BSR Ceramic stereo compatible cartridge is one possibility
Old 12th Dec 2019, 8:27 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

It wouldn't have had the TC8 as there's no cutout in the headshell to accommodate one.

I would say that it's the original cartridge being a fairly late model of that deck.

I wouldn't worry about it so long as it works. You can see what the stylus type is and you can see by its construction that it's stereo compatible. I know the cartridge type, but I just can't bring it to mind at the moment. You should ideally obtain a stylus balance/gauge, just to satisfy yourself that the tracking weight is correct so as to prevent possible record damage if it happens to be wrong.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:29 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Sorry, Techman - I didn't take into account that there was no cutout in the front of the head to accommodate the turnover knob. I have a record player with the same BSR Changer, which does have provision for the TC8 type of cartridge, but my Revelation Silvertone dates from c.1962, so is earlier than the Viva.
Old 13th Dec 2019, 1:04 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

Someone has fitted the wrong stylus there! That's definitely an ST16, as used in the SC7/8/11/12 cartridges from the late 70s.

The cartridge looks original and is a BSR X3M.The correct stylus is an ST3/ST4. Using it with what's there will not track well, as the smaller stylus body will not sit properly.

You can easily find the right stylus online and that X3 cart is stereo compatible, so rest easy there. However, you may find that these plastic arms as found on the cheaper BSR decks do not like loud modulated records such as disco, and tend to jump. This is a very basic player with a crude amp, just vol and treble cut, so do not expect great sound quality. Personally I would look for a better suitcase player by Bush, HMV etc.
Old 13th Dec 2019, 2:19 am   #8
Techman
Dekatron

It's quite unusual to find an example of the BSR UA25 record deck without the 'cutout' for the infamous BSR TC8 cartridge, so it must be a very late one, just at the transition to the next model. You normally expect to find a TC8 typically in that model deck, so easy to assume that a flip under type must be a replacement if you haven't noticed the end of the headshell without the manufactured cutout for the 'turnover' flag.

I have to admit that I don't particularly like that deck, even though I've got an example of one myself. My excuse is that it's in a record player bought brand new in the mid 60s by a family member, now passed away. These decks are always found in cheap record players and I agree regarding that 'plastic' tone arm, but having said that, they generally do the job and perform OK after a general service, the worst part being that 'magic' size selector that gums up with time.

From what we can see of the player in the OP's pictures, it looks to be in good condition, so I think he's got all the information he needs to make an informed decision on it. As pointed out, it is the X3 cartridge that I couldn't remember and as Ben says, it looks like it does in fact have an incorrect stylus, so even though it may work with the one fitted, it's unknown as to whether it's worn or not, so would be sensible to replace it anyway, and this time fit the correct type.

Dansettes have been pulled down on here many times over the years for their cheap construction, but they're certainly not the only brand of questionable quality, it's just that folk have fond memories of them from teenage years, thus bunking the prices up. They are what they are and it's no good pretending otherwise. If you want good sound from your vinyl with minimal record damage then buy a Hi-Fi system, but if you want that feel and look of the 60s and those happy teenage years, then buy a Dansette.
Old 13th Dec 2019, 3:07 am   #9
ben
Dekatron

The cart could in fact be an x1, but there's little difference between it and the x3 as far as I know.
Old 13th Dec 2019, 9:19 am   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Ben, you're normally spot on when it comes to Carts, but noting your observation in Post#7, that looks like a BSR X3H or X1H - A Viva would not use an M version. This is certainly a late version of a BSR UA25 noting the colour scheme and with no cartridge knob cut out. Is even has a lighter gauge metal platter than the first release of the UA25 in mid-1964. The VIVA was the most basic Autochange model in the then Dansette range - and it's overall sound reflected that as well....
Old 13th Dec 2019, 9:44 am   #11
John10b
Nonode

The service information that I have for the Dansette Viva indicates the Cartridge to be a “Fulfi with TC8 Stylus”.
John
Old 13th Dec 2019, 12:00 pm   #12
astro63
Pentode

The cartridge is a BSR X1H and correct stylus would be a BSR ST4. It's a rarity the cartridge works most I've come across have been dead.

Last edited by astro63; 13th Dec 2019 at 12:01 pm. Reason: typo mistake
Closed Thread