UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2019, 9:40 am   #181
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

Ive watched Salvage Hunter restorers a few times and although the wood worker is good, the metal/electrical guy is a bodger.
Comparing the quality go work as seen Repair shop comes out top each time.
Old 21st Apr 2019, 10:57 am   #182
David Simpson
Nonode

The thing is, Malcolm, every time Drew Pritchard buys something he always tells us the expected repair costs. Sometimes hundreds of ££'s. Then again on his Restorers programs, he and the chosen experts openly discuss costs. Again, many hundreds of ££'s are often involved. Also, I note recently, that on "Wheeler Dealers", they're now including the amount of manhours at the end of the program. (God, please don't get me going on that mouthy git Mike Brewer !)
Regarding Drew's electrician - he always replaces mains cabling, fits modern 3pin plugs, & he always ensures correct earthing. In all the years I've watched the program, I've never seen him trip the building's circuit breaker - unlike the Repair Shop's radio duffer a year or two back. Drew's metalwork guy - Gavin, is a different fellow to the electrician guy(I forget his name ?). Most of the time Drew tells Gavin to quickly tart up old lamp posts, industrial cupboards, etc. As he'll be shifting them on pdq. Whereas the electrician guy carefully takes his time.
Incidentally, a local friend & near neighbour has met Drew Pritchard, and have bought a couple of proper antiques off him. They were jolly pleased with the price & condition of the items. Seemingly Drew-wise, what you see is what you get. Not a drip or drool from him or any of his staff.

Regards, David
Old 21st Apr 2019, 11:15 am   #183
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
In all the years I've watched the program, I've never seen him trip the building's circuit breaker
Editing.

Quote:
- unlike the Repair Shop's radio duffer a year or two back.
Drama.

Lawrence.
Old 21st Apr 2019, 11:31 am   #184
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I suggest that the episode where the item under repair apparently plunged the entire building into darkness whilst the camera happened to be running was a rather childish fabrication.
Nobody would wire a repair workshop such that a short-circuit on one bench would trip the entire building's supply including the lighting.

Having apparently caused this dramatic failure, the repairer/duffer then struggled against all the odds to isolate the problem, but strangely the reason wasn't then explained! Total tosh which really put me off the programme.

Andy
Old 21st Apr 2019, 1:26 pm   #185
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
I suggest that the episode where the item under repair apparently plunged the entire building into darkness whilst the camera happened to be running was a rather childish fabrication...Total tosh which really put me off the programme.
Pity to let one small part of one episode spoil the entire series for you. As has been said, by many others, there’s been a lot of good stuff which you will have missed.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 21st Apr 2019, 1:39 pm   #186
David Simpson
Nonode

I suspect, Andy, that all the oversize hobbit buildings on the site have their own RCD controlled Consumer Unit. Thus will trip off everything when a duffer does something silly with mains equipment, or even problems with lighting. Extra caution with thatched rooves & timber construction.
On the other hand, many modern domestic CU's have split MCB circuitry buss bars, where only ring mains, cooker, imm'n heater, shower, etc. are rcd protected. Lighting circuitry is often un-rcd'd so that residents can still see what the heck is going on in an emergency. Or you can just have the lights next to your fuse cupboard, passageways & halls, and exits left un-rcd'd.
(RCD = Residual Current Device, sometimes called "Earth Fault Trip").

Regards, David
Old 21st Apr 2019, 1:42 pm   #187
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Pity to let one small part of one episode spoil the entire series for you. As has been said, by many others, there’s been a lot of good stuff which you will have missed.
This latest series has been much better, I haven't missed any of it even though I have grumbled at times!
Old 21st Apr 2019, 1:45 pm   #188
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Quote:
I suspect, Andy, that all the oversize hobbit buildings on the site have their own RCD controlled Consumer Unit. Thus will trip off everything when a duffer does something silly with mains equipment, or even problems with lighting. Extra caution with thatched rooves & timber construction.
On the other hand, many modern domestic CU's have split MCB circuitry buss bars, where only ring mains, cooker, imm'n heater, shower, etc. are rcd protected. Lighting circuitry is often un-rcd'd so that residents can still see what the heck is going on in an emergency. Or you can just have the lights next to your fuse cupboard, passageways & halls, and exits left un-rcd'd.
(RCD = Residual Current Device, sometimes called "Earth Fault Trip").

Regards, David
I still suspect it was a fabrication! Funny that the BBC's equipment kept running...……….

Andy
Old 21st Apr 2019, 2:07 pm   #189
ms660
Dekatron

If I was spending a pile of money on productions I would invest in some UPS stuff.

Lawrence.
Old 21st Apr 2019, 2:13 pm   #190
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I think that the difference between Drew and Repair Shop is that Drew is doing it to make money and Repair shop is for entertainment. So Repair shop can spend a long time and lots of money in bringing an item back to life where as Drew has to turn a profit.
Old 21st Apr 2019, 2:36 pm   #191
turretslug
Dekatron

My take on the power tripping incident episode is that, yes, it would indeed have been contrived and scripted- but with good intention. At some point, there would have been production discussion along the lines, "well, we're dealing with real, live mains and a likely iffy old radio- there's a duty of care to to the viewing pulic to introduce some sort of safety flag without being preachy or kill-joy, we need to strike a balance bearing in mind that some people will think that we're being over-the-top and others not cautious enough." A planned and scripted "power trip" could have been a "now careful folk, this is serious" sort of hint. More than ever nowadays, everyone is paranoid of legal consequences and rebound around what appears on telly.
Old 21st Apr 2019, 3:13 pm   #192
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G6ANZ View Post
I think that the difference between Drew and Repair Shop is that Drew is doing it to make money and Repair shop is for entertainment. So Repair shop can spend a long time and lots of money in bringing an item back to life where as Drew has to turn a profit.
Exactly, most of the revocations on TRS would not be commercially viable, the pouffe as an example was a huge amount of skilled leather work which must have took many hours by the Master Saddler it’s not about increasing the value but about restoring memories (feeling a little sick emoji). I assume the experts are getting paid the going rate and the BBC are paying, or rather we are, nothing is perfect but there are worse things they could and do spend my money on.

John
Old 21st Apr 2019, 6:18 pm   #193
David Simpson
Nonode

Me thinks that the Duffer/power trip episode was unscripted. Maybe, just maybe, a fluorescent light was suspect, or another expert was powering up some equipment at the time. Thus, without a proper electrician on site, and the trip quickly re-set, they just let it pass. If they wanted to get a safety message over, they could've asked the duffer to tell us to always at least use a portable plug-in RCD, & check mains polarity & chassis earthing, and say oops - sorry.
We all banged on at the time about these programs being produced these days by private companies, and definitely don't use highly qualified filming site technicians/engineers which at one time the BBC was world renowned for. Old mannie Reith must be turning in his grave.
Yep, the film crew's equipment kept running. As I said a while back, I once work alongside proper BBC engineering /filming folk for a "Songs of Praise" program up here . Their huge mobile filming/lighting truck required an independant very thirsty 3Phase supply from Scottish Hydro-Electric. Far more juice was required than what a big thatched hobbit house(with a paltry 1 Phase supply) needed.

Regards, David
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 2:22 pm   #194
AC/HL
Dekatron

A bit late to apply now, but this makes it clear that it's a third party produced show, and the back stories are a major part of it. There are contact details, but I doubt they'd be willing to answer the sort of queries raised on here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/t...he_repair_shop
As was said earlier, the BBC were obliged to outsource a good deal of their content. Lord Reith wouldn't be too upset, didn't he refer to TV people as the fools on the hill?
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 2:27 pm   #195
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Lord Reith wouldn't be too upset, didn't he refer to TV people as the fools on the hill?
He did indeed! He reportedly hated the whole idea of television.
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 5:05 pm   #196
Cobaltblue

Ever ready 5214 from the glimpse I saw.
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 5:28 pm   #197
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I have yet to watch it and look forward.
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 5:48 pm   #198
MrBungle
Dekatron

Just watched it now, with the radio restoration. Not much content in it and a lot of waffle but at least it wasn't Brian Cox's low information density productions.
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 5:59 pm   #199
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It concentrated more on the replacement handle (which looked really good) and making up a HT battery from 10 PP3s in a cardboard case to look like the original. Only thing on the actual repair was a set of replacement valves.

No mention of transistors at all.

No contrived broadcast from local radio station this time, though it was playing “Could it be magic” by Take That which fitted with the comments by the happy owner about the result.

The item that featured most was the grandfather clock, which to my casual viewers eye looked like a superb job by three different restorers.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 6:11 pm   #200
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yes the grandfather clock was impressive!
Closed Thread