UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2020, 8:24 pm   #1
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Green Hunts Caps

I have been overhauling an Armstrong 400 series receiver which my son bought recently. It is full of green Hunts capacitors, both electrolytic and lower value film ones of some sort. It was distorting at low frequencies and replacing all the electrolytics has cured this. That leaves the film ones. I know the reputation of Mouldseal caps but have never come across these later ones which seem to be encased in metal under the green plastic cover. Does anyone have any experience of the reliability of them? The amp appears to work ok and there are so many in the pre-amp boards in particular that I don't want simply to replace them all.

He intends to use the amp quite intensively as he works from home as a software developer and music helps him to concentrate. It does exactly the opposite for me!

Thanks
Old 1st Jun 2020, 8:34 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Green Hunts Caps

Aby chance of some photos?

In the 60s and 70s there were loads of 'plastic encapsulated' capacitors produced; RS offered a range of these (with grey encapsulation); Callins/TCC (in a green case) was another brand - and they do not age well.
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 8:53 am   #3
jjl
Octode

I think that I know the type of cap you mean. They were used a lot in British mainframe computers of the '60s and '70s and are often branded Erie rather than Hunts - I believe that Erie took over Hunts some time in the late '60s.
They have some sort of plastic film dielectric and seem reliable - I harvested hundreds of them from scrap computer boards when I was an impoverished schoolboy and never found a bad one.

John
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 9:21 am   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

Thanks for the replies.

Here are a couple of photos. They look nothing like the usual Hunts caps. In view of John's comments I think I will leave them alone for now. I was fortunate when I replaced the electrolytics as the pcb traces remained intact, but I think that these old ones are a bit fragile and I don't want to spoil what seems to have been a successful job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140950.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	207459   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140951.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	207460  
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 9:52 am   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Yes, they are plastic film dielectric and reliable, apart from sometimes, the wire lead connection to the body failed.

Radiospares/RS Components used to sell them as their own brand and they had a grey outer sleeve.
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 10:00 am   #6
PaulR
Dekatron

I did replace just two on the power supply board .... and one of the leads came off as I flexed it! I will send it back as it is.

Thanks