UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2020, 12:13 am   #21
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Rewinding a toroidal mains transformer

If you are going to voltage double it, make sure you use full wave rectification!!! If you use half wave the BH curve will be all biassed one way, the transformer will run hot, it will be noisy, and regulation will be horrible. A toroid must be closely balanced.

Joe
Old 23rd May 2020, 8:16 am   #22
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"OK, it's not pretty but £16 as compared to over £100 for a commercial unit looks good to me." Me too, well done. I recommend terminating the winding wire to your multi stranded wire somewhere where you can get to it in future, might be an idea to go easy on the varnish in that area too. I've had winding's break just there in the past, the thought of having to unwind does not appeal.

Andy.
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:22 am   #23
Alan_G3XAQ
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
If you are going to voltage double it, make sure you use full wave rectification!!! If you use half wave the BH curve will be all biassed one way, the transformer will run hot, it will be noisy, and regulation will be horrible. A toroid must be closely balanced.

Joe
Good point Joe. Yes, I'd already decided to use a full wave doubler, like in the simulation screenshot attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FWD.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	206513  
Old 23rd May 2020, 4:14 pm   #24
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_G3XAQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post

Joe
Good point Joe. Yes, I'd already decided to use a full wave doubler, like in the simulation screenshot attached
Thats the same as used in the Armstrong valve Amp (see post 8 of this thread)

Peter
Old 29th May 2020, 6:03 pm   #25
Alan_G3XAQ
Pentode

The added HT winding worked out pretty much exactly as predicted by the circuit simulator. I'm using a full wave voltage doubler which seems to work fine with the more or less constant current drawn by the receiver it is powering.

The most time consuming part was waiting for the RS 199-1480 transformer vanish to dry after I'd given the whole transformer a good soaking in a tub of the stuff. I put about 8W DC through the mains winding to get the temperature up to hand hot (60C?) but it still took two days for the smell to dissipate.

Anyway, job done. Thanks for all the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2533.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	207139  
Closed Thread