UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2023, 12:55 pm   #21
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: TV Collectors look away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
There can’t be too many of those about?
No, it’s the last one in existence.
Shame it got turned into a lamp then

I can just imagine the antique dealers of the future cursing previous generations.
There was an example on Antiques roadshow years ago where a valuable vase had been turned upside down had a hole drilled in the bottom and a lamp holder fitted. The expert told them how much it was worth and then how much it would have been worth had it not been ruined. The difference was a lot of money I remember. The 'Hyacinth Bucket' owner looked a little crestfallen as she had been the one who had it done. You could tell the expert was annoyed! At least to a degree that could be repaired and turned the right way up so it wasn't completely destroyed! More recently another owner had something they had taken to have a hole drilled in it for a lamp flex and the chap had refused to do it. Again the expert told them what they would have lost had it been done and told them they owed the man who had refused to ruin it!
I suppose it is too late for the Marconi ? The chassis will be long gone I would love to buy the upcycled wreck, launch Alexia into the Wee skip (Weeee! crunch!) and put the set back together!
Old 29th May 2023, 1:22 pm   #22
Cathovisor
Banned

I've had two Marconi 209s in the past and despite the small loudspeaker, they do sound very nice indeed.
Old 29th May 2023, 3:02 pm   #23
slidertogrid
Octode

This is mine. Bought from an antiques fair in Ashby-de-la-Zouch in the 'Eighties. Unrestored, still works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230529_144918.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	278920  
Old 29th May 2023, 4:33 pm   #24
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

The classic was "The Repair Shop" I think last year.
In my telly mag, it said that they were going to restore a "pre-WW2 transistor radio."
I thought "I must see this."
Of course it turned out to be a portable valve radio.
They got it working, but unfortunately, Ever Ready no longer made 90v batteries.
So they soldered together ten 9 volt batteries in series in a block.
The owner was delighted.
There was no mention as to whether they gave him a reel of solder, some flux and some wire to make his own power unit for when the original batteries ran down after a few days, or said, "Don't even think of bringing it back when it stops working."
Old 29th May 2023, 5:25 pm   #25
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Found on the net a picture of a Bush TV43 which has been re-imagined as a cat bed.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat_Bed_TV_Bush_TV43.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	278927  
Old 29th May 2023, 7:08 pm   #26
Station X

We've had several threads relating to "The Repair Shop" and similar TV programmes.

To quote Paul Stenning:-

"Everything that needs to be said has been said and it is just repeating the same stuff over and over".

Thread closed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread