UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2018, 12:55 pm   #21
tracypaper
Octode

Default Re: Crystal Cartridge refurb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Gaz, the player in question uses a single-stage EL84 amplifier and was originally fitted with a BSR TC8H mono cartridge. Reading Post #1 suggests that at some stage, a medium-output cartridge has been substituted.
Point taken.
As for re-furbing TC8s yes people just want originality, I know some people who wont play stereo records on older players, not because of the cart fitted but because you would not have have played stereo records on them back in the day.
I buy the TC8S stereo versions and refurb them, this keeps the turn over knob at the front in place.
Gaz.
Old 10th Oct 2018, 2:00 pm   #22
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Hi. I have purchased a high output cartridge from the company mentioned.
At the moment i'm using a medium output cartridge. It plays 45s and 78s Ok but LPs not so well. This Dansette Challenge 106 plays well. The Autochanger
functions well and all the speeds are OK.the new cartridge should give better results. This player cost £15 from a charity shop. Iv'e had to make a few repairs to damage caused by me in clumsy dismantling, New switch volume Pot. and replacement switches. But the cost is not to bad when you look at some of the prices being asked for restored items. They are going for silly money.I only play mono records on this machine, mostly 45s from charity shops.And up to yet the ones iv'e purchased play well.
Keep them records spinning.
Diggap.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 2:08 pm   #23
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Hi. The new high output cartridge came today and iv'e just fitted it. It makes a lot of difference.Especially to L/Ps, the sound is much better.I will keep the medium output as a spare.
Spin those records folks
Diggap.
Closed Thread