UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2018, 10:15 pm   #1
Valvepower
Octode

Default Help with value of Ferguson 385RG radiogram

Hi All,

Hope I’ve the right section on the forum and if you feel it belongs in the offered section your welcome to move it there, anyway, I suppose, I’m after a bit of advice with this radiogram. I’ve read the sticky “Value of, disposal of and obtaining of radiograms”...

I’ve been asked by a friend of a friend to find the value of a Ferguson 385RG radiogram the pictures of which are attached and being helpful I did say I’ll ask the forum, anyway, I said it could be worth ‘say £20’ to someone who really wants this model otherwise it has no real value.

Sadly, it has all the usual restrictions size etc., as to the sale and value of a 50’s radiogram......, but if someone is interested in this Radiogram it’s in the Southend area and I can put you in touch with the person who I figure wants to sell it.

Regards
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio_01.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	160680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio_02.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	160681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio_03.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	160682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio_04.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	160683  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 10:27 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with value of Ferguson 385RG radiogram

You are basically correct. This is a mono only unit which will need a new stereo-compatible cartridge which will cost over the value of it. BUT if a buyer only wants to play old Mono LPs/78s, and if it's still working, then worth £20-30 max.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 11:17 pm   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

It's the right place to ask the question. The value will. of course, be very low but it might well find an appreciative home (too far for me....but I do like those old Garrard RC120 decks and I am not alone). I expect you have already advised the owner not to fire it up if it hasn't been used for years and years?
Old 8th Apr 2018, 1:46 am   #4
electrogram
Heptode

i had one years ago, a bit nostalgic about them, thought it sounded a bit 'thin', probably needed a service. could be tempted if a bit nearer, just as well im not as i would have trouble fitting it in as i have,ahem, one or two other RGs around me. hope it finds a good home
Old 8th Apr 2018, 12:06 pm   #5
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, which is appreciated.

I’ve been advised by the owner they necessarily don’t want anything for it and its FOC as they don’t want to see it thrown away.

Regards
Terry
Old 8th Apr 2018, 9:03 pm   #6
nicam49
Hexode

Hi, if no takers here, try offering it locally on freecycle or gumtree.
Old 9th Apr 2018, 9:41 am   #7
Studio263
Octode

Were they the ones with the plastic gears behind the wavechange switch which always seem to be broken? I had the table model / AC/DC version of that chassis, complete with a big hole where the mains transformer would have been bridged with a couple of pieces of tagstrip an a few burned looking dogbone resistors. It was a good performer though, better (dare I say) than the Bush VHF61 that used to stand next to it.

The gear problem was worked around by bonding the (broken) white plastic gear to the shaft of the wavechange switch with really strong glue ('Hyperbond', I don't think they make it any more) and turning the knob through half a turn so the broken teeth were on the side where it didn't matter. This of course left the pointer on the wrong side as well, so I filed it off and cut a slot on the other side. Filled with white paint, this solution looked OK despite the obvious bodgery behind it. Lots of oil on the switch too.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 6:33 pm   #8
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to all the people who replied to this post.

I’ve placed a post in the offered section:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=145578

If the moderators feel it right they can close this thread.

Regards
Terry
Closed Thread