UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2018, 12:58 am   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Technics SL7

When I got this, I thought it would be an easy repair, no such luck.

The original problem was that the belt was worn, so I replaced it, but now I have a problem that the arm will not move across the record. It will if you press the << key and if you've moved it to the centre, it will move back, but not when its playing a record.

If you look at the attached diagram Q306 is not being switched on, this seems to go back to IC301 whose port is not going high.

In addition, my main board does not appear to have D321 or Q322 fitted.

Does anyone know whats going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL7.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	160231  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sl7.pdf (395.0 KB, 166 views)

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 31st Mar 2018, 12:46 pm   #2
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Default Re: Technics SL7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
..now I have a problem that the arm will not move across the record. It will if you press the << key and if you've moved it to the centre, it will move back, but not when its playing a record.

...Q306 is not being switched on, this seems to go back to IC301 whose port is not going high.
There are a couple of possibilities. If the arm has dropped and is trying to play a record, arm release solenoid circuit Q317 will have been activated from Q306 turning on. If the arm does not move across from play then worth checking the rest and end micro switch S306/307. Worth checking to see if IC301 output port ever gets pulsed after pressing play button.

Motors on these are notoriously unreliable due to running at a very slow speed where dead parts of the commutator often develop. Temporarily disconnecting the motor and running on a power supply at rated voltage may naturally remove the dead spots.

Rich
Old 31st Mar 2018, 11:06 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

Thanks for your help Pete.

My main board is totally different from the circuit diagram.

Q306 does in fact turn on as it should but the sled motor drive is contained in a BA6109 IC which is normally used to drive loading motors on VCR's.

So i'm rather stuck.

The motor itself is OK because if you press the << or the >> keys the arm moves. It just wont move when its playing a record.

Old 1st Apr 2018, 11:00 am   #4
peter_sol
Octode

Michael I am not sure how it is supposd to work.
obviously the stylus moves the arm fractionally then the arm moves and so on.
on some decks when the arm was moved by the stylus a shutter moved out of the way of an optocoupler (sometimes a lamp and LDR) and thus the moror moved the arm.
Old 1st Apr 2018, 12:43 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

That is how it works Peter, its actually quite difficult to run checks but from what I can see, moving the arm around does produce a signal from the optocoupler. What I cant decipher is the how the signals get from the detector to the motor run chip.

Old 7th Apr 2018, 11:03 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have been trying to get a SL-7 working for almost a year. This, too has a main circuit board which differs from that shown in the service manual. TBH, the deck has been put to one side for maybe 6 months because of the problems with it. The linear tracking arm is moved between two micro-switches which essentially detect the start and end of a record. At the L.H. end of this assembly is a small circuit board incorporating a slide which allows for manual setting of record diameter, and a motor which drives the arm mechanism via a small drive belt and a metal pulley. The pulley tends to work loose and come off it's shaft, which results in no lateral movement of the pickup arm, since the shaft incorporates a worm drive. There is a thread on here about this particular SL-7 and it's problems, but it's only to do with the arm drive problem, which was solved by securing the pulley to it's shaft with a few drops of a 'Loctite' adhesive designed for this type of job.

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 7th Apr 2018 at 11:13 pm.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 11:23 pm   #7
Michael Maurice

Well I seemed to have sorted my deck out thanks to a very helpful chap on ebay.

Firstly I tried to fit a 25mm belt but it was too loose, so I fitted a 20mm round belt but that was the cause of the problem it was too tight.

I bought a belt from this ebay seller, only to find it was 25mm and too large, in fact it wasn't, the motor had moved closer to the worm wheel. I manged to move it to the correct position, refitted the belt and worked OK.

Closed Thread