UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:42 am   #1
System A
Pentode

Default Swedish G11?

Hi everyone,

I thought you might like to see the latest addition (thanks Mike) to my Philips colour collection. The model no is 26C797/15T, K12.

It's a 26" tube set which boasts "HI-FI" on the front. Inside it looks like a K30 but the chassis swings out. The CRT is a 20AX A66-500X. I remember when I was working as an apprentice in the late seventies we got one in with a batch of new G11"s.

I wonder if it is the Swedish version of the G11? The sound output is excellent as it has a tweeter and subwoofer fitted. Has anyone got any memories of this model? The pictures from my digital camera don't do it justice, it really has a fantastic picture!

Regards,
Gary .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips k12 051.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	57282   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips k12 060.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	57283   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips k12 061.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	57284   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips k12 062.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	57285   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips k12 057.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	57286  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Oct 2011 at 1:26 pm. Reason: Peculiar punctuation and spacing.
Old 12th Oct 2011, 12:24 pm   #2
Andy Doz
Hexode

Default Re: Swedish G11?

Had one in for repair once in the 90's... we had no service data, but thankfully only the positor was u/s.
Old 12th Oct 2011, 12:38 pm   #3
DIN Plug Pete
Tetrode

Hi Gary,
I think these are the original advertisements for your Philips model, although yours doesn't appear to have the LED display that is shown on the advert?
Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_k12_a.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	57293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_k12_b.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	57294  
Old 12th Oct 2011, 1:19 pm   #4
AidanLunn
Heptode

A HiFi mono set? Surely this is an oddity?
Old 12th Oct 2011, 1:32 pm   #5
malvision
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanLunn View Post
A HiFi mono set? Surely this is an oddity?
Philips K12 television for people with ears, or maybe with one
Old 12th Oct 2011, 2:50 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

The K12 was a superb set made in Sweden. It did have Hi Fi mono sound with a sub-woofer in a bass reflex enclosure plus a tweeter. It bares no resemblance whatsoever to a G11 by the way! They could be a bit of a whatsit to work on but they were very reliable. We didn't see too many of them at Philips mainly because of their reliability but also because a lot were bought by Granada (I think). As far as I know there was only this model plus a huge 'Video Centre' that used the K12 chassis sold in the UK. They were much more common on the continent. There was also a projection set but I think that was continental only.

They had thick-film RGB units plugged into the CRT base and a reliable switched mode PSU. They must be getting on for 35 years old now.

If I remember correctly, the Video Centre consisted of a 26" TV with a built-in B/W 12" monitor and a VR2020 VCR sitting in the top.

SB
Old 12th Oct 2011, 3:35 pm   #7
toshiba tony
Heptode

Surely hi-fi and mono have no connection whatsoever, why would you assume it has to be stereo to be hi-fi. i can remember in the past several gear that was stereo and very low-fi. to me its not an oddity at all as the poster said, sorry for raving but i had to add that, no offense, anyway, im from bradford as is the poster who mentioned it
Old 12th Oct 2011, 8:29 pm   #8
hans
Heptode

This brings back good memories.

This is the HiFi version of the first K12 series. These were really good sets. I can only remeber stock faults like burnt contacts on EW-board (after 10+years), one small resistor causing EW fault and the thick film RGB amps.

The HiFi sound was good btw.
Old 12th Oct 2011, 10:50 pm   #9
Danny
Heptode

Hi,

Many years ago I had the projection version. There were a few about at the time and they were nicknamed the coffee table! a large box that resembled a coffee table.

I used it for my disco playing pop videos. The set never failed and was working when I eventually sold it.

Danny.
Old 12th Oct 2011, 11:15 pm   #10
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Prior to 1958 all Hi-Fi was MONO and I am old enough to remember it.

ALAN
Old 13th Oct 2011, 7:46 am   #11
toshiba tony
Heptode

me too im afraid to admit, happy days
Old 13th Oct 2011, 10:51 am   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I assume the advert is from a hi-fi magazine - can't imagine the average TV viewer being impressed with all those baffling numbers! The Swedish Philips sets always boasted good sound - think of the excellent K70 - but this would be the first to actually advertise it. Don't forget that NICAM stereo didn't arrive on the scene till the early Nineties, so up till then sound was very much the poor relation of the picture in 'ordinary' table-top sets. Even then, many NICAM sets had pretty awful sound due to the size of the speakers.
As a hi-fi enthusiast I remember in the early Eighties building a TV tuner for connection to the hi-fi - yes, only mono, but it certainly made a difference. The introduction of TV hi-fi sound was met with supreme indifference in the main by the TV-buying public.
I rarely saw a K12, and ISTR I made an excuse when asked to fix a misconverged projection one....
Glyn
Old 13th Oct 2011, 1:10 pm   #13
DIN Plug Pete
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi
I assume the advert is from a hi-fi magazine - can't imagine the average TV viewer being impressed with all those baffling numbers!
The advert was scanned from "Gramophone" magazine, but I'm sure it could have also been in hi-fi magazines?

Peter.
Closed Thread