UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2019, 7:57 pm   #21
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Painted Bakelite and paint stripper...

H&S can be taken to excess. In the CPC catalogue, the entries for mains leads that are not fitted with a plug are marked in red "Only for use by qualified personell". They don't ask for your qualifications when you order some.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 9:41 pm   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

Carelessness can also be taken to excess. There's nothing to stop anyone bypassing regulations if they so wish. We all see it daily, and most people get away with it most of the time. By doing so they take full and final responsibility for any direct or indirect consequences. The "THEY didn't warn me" argument doesn't apply in those cases, because THEY did, at some considerable length. People like us can appreciate and mitigate (but not remove) risks. Not all can, and they may be your neighbour or workmate.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 10:20 pm   #23
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Just to be clear, if any of us wanted to, we could disregard the law, and as much DCM stripper as we wish would be on its way to us 'under the radar' with just two mouse clicks, - one for 'Buy Now' the other for Paypal.

But no, however academically qualified we may be it makes no difference as far as the statutory requirements are concerned.

Only 'Professionals' are able to purchase and use dichloromethane based products, and only after successfully completing the HSE assessment and receiving a certificate of competence with a unique licence number. The use of dichloromethane based products is restricted regardless of the type of material being removed from an object.

A ban was placed on the market of dichloromethane (DCM)-based paint strippers for use by the general public after 6 December 2011 by the European Union on 3 June 2009. It became a Commission Regulation formally amending REACH (Commission Regulation (EU) No. 276/2010). In 2014 the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) produced the REACH Enforcement (Amendment) Regulations 2014 (SI 2014/2882).

The Regulations amend the REACH Enforcement Regulations 2008 (SI 2008/2852) to allow the supply and professional use in the UK of paint strippers based on the solvent dichloromethane (DCM) by introducing necessary training requirements and a mandatory HSE certificate of competence for professional users. Copies of the Regulations, explanatory memorandum and impact assessment are available at www.legislation.gov.uk.

Source:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis19.pdf

https://icon.org.uk/system/files/doc...thane_faqs.pdf

So yes, by all means, anyone who is so inclined, can easily get hold if the stuff, if they are content to break the law.

Ride at your own risk.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 12:42 am   #24
McMurdo
Dekatron

Lidl sell baufix or powerfix branded cans of solvent labelled either 'cellulose thinner' or 'paintbrush cleaner-restorer'. I haven't found a paint that is resistant to it yet, and it's also dissolved paint brush handles, screwdrivers and welded a cleaning cloth to the back of my swivel chair. Worth a try!
Old 10th Dec 2019, 12:45 am   #25
joebog1
Banned

Also known as "gunwash" for cleaning spray guns.
Its EXTREMELY active, not to mention flammable.

Joe
Old 10th Dec 2019, 11:26 pm   #26
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
In my day-job before I retired, I worked in a chemical research lab and could access dichloromethane and many other "dangerous" chemicals. I have a PhD in Organic Chemistry. Am I qualified to use dichloromethane-based paint stripper?

Colin.
I was working in a workshop once and a fellow from the institution wandered in and asked to use the drill press to drill a hole in a rectangular aluminium panel, he had a double doctorate. He managed after some time to get the drill into the chuck and set the stage to the right height, but when he lowered the drill onto the plate, the plate started to rotate. He kept pressing it down and watching it spin around (because he had not held or clamped the plate) and wondered why he couldn't drill the hole.

So regardless of the qualification level , there is still no substitute for training & experience it would appear. This is why it is also preferable that your surgeon has done thousands of the same type of case, if you are able to get that, especially operating on a high risk area.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 4:35 pm   #27
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
In my day-job before I retired, I worked in a chemical research lab and could access dichloromethane and many other "dangerous" chemicals. I have a PhD in Organic Chemistry. Am I qualified to use dichloromethane-based paint stripper?

Colin.
I was working in a workshop once and a fellow from the institution wandered in and asked to use the drill press to drill a hole in a rectangular aluminium panel, he had a double doctorate. He managed after some time to get the drill into the chuck and set the stage to the right height, but when he lowered the drill onto the plate, the plate started to rotate. He kept pressing it down and watching it spin around (because he had not held or clamped the plate) and wondered why he couldn't drill the hole.

So regardless of the qualification level , there is still no substitute for training & experience it would appear. This is why it is also preferable that your surgeon has done thousands of the same type of case, if you are able to get that, especially operating on a high risk area.
I think you have misunderstood what I was saying, Argus. My point was that I do know how to handle dichloromethane (and many other dangerous chemicals) by virtue of my laboratory experience of having done so (fume-hood, gloves, lab coat and safety-glasses probably at a minimum). The doctorate was simply to point out that I am a qualified chemist, not that I am in any way superior to any other human being.

Oh, incidentally, I wouldn't make the same mistake drilling a hole using a pillar-drill and I still have all of my fingers!

Colin.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 5:54 pm   #28
wave solder
Hexode

I've had great success using DOT. 3 brake fluid over the years. It's much more effective than Nitromors.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 7:14 pm   #29
emeritus
Dekatron

That reminds me that the old Castrol Girling Crimson brake fluid used to be an excellent paint stripper, but it hasn't been in the shops for decades. I used to use it for stripping oil paints from polystyrene models prior to repainting. None of its replacements had any significant effect. Is DOT3 a commercial vehicle product?

Last edited by emeritus; 11th Dec 2019 at 7:20 pm.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 9:32 pm   #30
ajgriff
Nonode

DOT 3 & DOT 4 are pretty much standard for most vehicles these days and both should work for paint stripping depending on the paint. Care needed though as with any paint stripper. Brake fluid is toxic and particularly damaging to the eyes if they become contaminated.

Alan
Old 11th Dec 2019, 9:49 pm   #31
AC/HL
Dekatron

Which brings us round to if it works well, it's probably toxic in one way or another, and needs handling and disposing with care.
Old 7th Feb 2023, 11:52 am   #32
tritone
Banned

Default Removing spray paint from bakelite

Hello Forum,

From the info from this older thread that has been closed, it looks like it's ok to use paint stripper or nail polish remover to remove the paint without melting the bakelite surface, is that correct ? Yes/No

Just double checking.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S8000026.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	272821  
Old 7th Feb 2023, 12:57 pm   #33
paulsherwin

Bakelite itself isn't damaged by any paint stripper I've ever used, but other plastics found in old radios may be, so care should always be taken.
Old 7th Feb 2023, 1:28 pm   #34
tritone
Banned

Thanks for that advice Paul,

Good man, I'm heading to the hardwaree store this afternoon for some paint stripper,

Cheers Paul,
Old 7th Feb 2023, 2:13 pm   #35
Silicon
Nonode

I am surprised that no one has suggested trying caustic soda to remove paint from bakelite.

It softens linseed oil and water based 'vinyl' paints. I use it to rescue plastic filament paintbrushes.
Don't try it on animal hair/bristles.

Some people have warned us about soaking bakelite in water based products because it could swell the wood flour filler in the phenolic binder.

I have not tried it on bakelite so I can't comment from experience.
Old 7th Feb 2023, 2:36 pm   #36
tritone
Banned

OK Silicon, I'll pick up some of that too and give it a try on a not so obvious area.

Cheers.
Old 7th Feb 2023, 4:47 pm   #37
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Bakelite itself isn't damaged by any paint stripper I've ever used, but other plastics found in old radios may be, so care should always be taken.
If you're unsure whether it's Bakelite or some other form of plastic, just touch the inside of the cabinet with a hot soldering iron in a place where a mark wouldn't be noticeable - the top or bottom for example. If it's Bakelite it won't melt, if it does melt, it isn't Bakelite, so could, and probably would, be affected by solvents.

Good luck in your efforts.
Old 7th Feb 2023, 7:28 pm   #38
emeritus
Dekatron

While according to earlier posts supposedly banned, dichloromethane (methylene chloride) is still freely on sale in small (57ml) bottles under the name Plastic Weld, available from shops that sell plastic model kits and on-line (search for E M A plastics). Excellent for mending many types of broken plastic items..

Perhaps the ban only applies to stuff that is intended to be used as a paint stripper. Like a story I heard on the radio some years ago, when the narrator's cat had something wrong with it that required a dose of aspirin. Pharmacists often ask what you need painkillers for, and when he said what it was for, he was informed that it could only be issued for that purpose under prescription. He had to find another pharmacy and say it was for a headache. Likewise, on Gardeners Question Time, it was mentioned that dilute detergent (washing up liquid) is no longer allowed to be used commercially to get rid of Aphids unless you wear complete body protection clothing, because if you get some in your eye it will cause irritation. However, you can use it to simply wash the leaves!.

Last edited by emeritus; 7th Feb 2023 at 7:56 pm. Reason: typos
Old 8th Feb 2023, 6:09 am   #39
TonyDuell
Dekatron

You can get larger bottles of 'Plastic Weld' here:

https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Adhesiv...-300ml/ITM8946

I read somewhere that while it is legal to sell and use dichloromethane as an adhesive for plastics, it is illegal to use it as a paint stripper (not just to sell if for that use). So presumably if I spill a little while mending some plastic part and it attacks the paint on something on my workbench I've broken the law.

As for removing paint from Bakelite, I've had success using a strong solution of biological washing powder in warm water. You have to leave the part soaking for some time but the paint will soften and can be rubbed off.
Old 8th Feb 2023, 9:31 pm   #40
ian_rodger
Pentode

"Mr Muscle" oven cleaner can be used for paint removal on fibreglass boat hulls. I've done this succesfully in the past. Might be another option.
Closed Thread